Pattern Problems

mascotman

I am brand new here and have been checking prior posts but can't find an answer. I hope someone can help me. I recently finished fabricating a fiberglass form of my head so that I could make masks and helmets from fiberglass and/or EVA foam. I covered my fiberglass head in aluminum foil then in duct tape so that I could create a pattern for foam. However the taped patterns are still retaining their 3d curvatures. To flatten them out I have to make a cut into the curves but this will eventually have to be joined back up in the foam which will create more seaming and joining. Is there some way that I can use these patterns and make them flat so that I can transfer them to the foam? I'd appreciate any help that you guys can give.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. The EVA foam builds here have seams. Some of the better quality builds have seams that can't easily be seen, but they are still there. Check out some of the foam builds here and see what works.

Thanks Dung0beetle. I guess I'll just have to work with the extra seams and figure it out as I go. Nothing like learning through trial and error and looking at what others are doing.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back