Patrick Read Johnson's 5-25-77 (Post-release)

Re: 5-25-77

Ok, so its MY REMOTE they use in the film..... CALL ME BIASED!

That and this.

kristen-bell-gold-bikini-leia-02.jpg

But it still sucked.

re: Patrick Read Johnson's 5-25-77

Gotta say that, based on trailers and clips, I have less than zero desire to see Fanboys, but want very much to see '77. The latter looks like it has heart, the former seems just more Hangover-style garbage.

Gotta say that, based on trailers and clips, I have less than zero desire to see Fanboys, but want very much to see '77. The latter looks like it has heart, the former seems just more Hangover-style garbage.

You are right in that '77 has a lot of heart. It's not a goofy, hangover film. It's a true story about going for your dream, and discovering who you are in the process. It is a drama that is relevant to almost anyone, funny and very cool. What I love about how Patrick wrote it is that his dreams (and day dreams) are all very important to the story. The film opens with the words, "Most of this is true... The rest is even truer." That says it all.

I'm curious to see "77" but can't see how it would work.
It seems like the general content is documentary type fodder.
How can you take doco stuff and turn it into an interesting peronal story?
Plus the TV series "The Seventies Show" has already exploited most of the situational story lines that might arise from the time.

Seems like a square peg being forced into a round hole to me.

I'm curious to see "77" but can't see how it would work.
It seems like the general content is documentary type fodder.
How can you take doco stuff and turn it into an interesting peronal story?
Plus the TV series "The Seventies Show" has already exploited most of the situational story lines that might arise from the time.

Seems like a square peg being forced into a round hole to me.

You'll be pleasantly surprised. '77 is not a documentary in any way, and it is far from being that seventies show.

The film is told from the point of view of Pat Johnson, a sci-fi/movie geek (and town weirdo) in a small suburb of Chicago. There is a line in the film where his best friend tells him, "To everyone else, movies are something you do when you're tired of real-life. To you, real-life is something you do when you are tired of watching movies!" His dream is becoming a Hollywood movie maker. Growing up, he made several super 8 film versions and sequels of his favorite movies in his backyard, driving his mom crazy in the process.

One day, she decides to "help" Pat by looking up the phone number of the editor of Cinematographer Magazine (Herb Lightman) and asks him if he could show her son around Hollywood if she sends him out there. Herb agrees, though he doesn't really believe it will happen... until Pat shows up at his office.

Herb keeps his word and takes Pat with him on interviews of the industry insiders as they make their latest films. He meats his idol, Douglas Trumbull, as well as Greg Gein, and an up-and-coming director, Steven Spielberg as they are making Close Encounters. Herb then takes Pat to a dumpy looking warehouse where these hippies are creating special effects for a film with a strange title called Star Wars. Pat is completely blown away by all he sees and learns. John Dykstra even shows him a B&W rough cut of the film, making Pat Star Wars Fan #1 (a nick name given to him by Gary Kurtz).

The rest of the film deals with Pat trying to tell his friends and classmates about this awesome new movie that will be coming out soon. But he can't get through to people. He becomes obsessive about everyone seeing it because in his mind everyone will love it, ending his reign as the town weirdo.

Throughout the film, Pat also deals with his struggle to stay where he is, or take a huge leap of faith and leave his home and everything behind for Hollywood––especially his girlfriend who is torn between having him stay with her, or letting him go to follow his dream.

All this actually happened, and much more. It makes for a very heart-warming, coming of age film. I'm very, very proud to have been involved with the making of it.

I am the film's Associate Producer. I was responsible for recreating ILM at the time they were making Star Wars. My credit for that, instead of Art Director, is "ILM Set Realization," which I thought sounded cool.

I was also responsible for populating that set with replicas of the filming models. I was the Model Making Coordinator/Supervisor. I built the Star Destroyer, Escape Pod and a CGI of the Death Star trench and surface that John Knoll put in the scene. We had the CG Falcon created for the special edition films, and I recruited other model makers to loan or create the rest––except the X-Wings, which were created by Scott Alexander, who recruited me for the film.

I was even an extra in that scene. I grew a beard and long hair so I could look like Lorne Peterson. It was fun telling Lorne I played him in the film. I've got a picture of him trying to look like me.

I was a set decorator for the Future General scenes, and an extra for them too. I was also on hand to help out at some Chicago locations.

I never had more fun working on anything in my life. More than most, I can't wait for this movie to be released. I love it, and not because I had a hand in making it. It is just a good movie.

If it's so good.

Why isn't it realeased or done or what?

Fanboys nearly didn't make it out intact.

It's okay, but I can see why it was a toss up to release it. More than likely the controversy that kicked up around it being edited, made the difference.

If it's so good.

Why isn't it realeased or done or what?

Fanboys nearly didn't make it out intact.

It's okay, but I can see why it was a toss up to release it. More than likely the controversy that kicked up around it being edited, made the difference.

I get a ton of emails asking why it hasn't been released yet. There are, understandably, many frustrated fans that want to see '77.

However, because some don't understand the process of movie making, especially on an independent film, they jump to conclusions that really have nothing to do with the issues. Not to say that's what is happening here, it's just that I have read a lot of that and I want to clarify some things before conclusions are jumped to here on RPF.

Editing has nothing to do with its release at all. There is a concern that the film is too long, and Patrick has worked hard to cut it down, but that was never a make-or-break issue for its release. George Lucas has given his approval years ago, so that's not an issue either. It's not even a matter of being a toss up. Great interest has been shown by distributors that are waiting for it to be completed before any deals can be made, deals that involve domestic and foreign releases, as well as DVD and TV. I've seen people chomping at the bit to release this movie.

The film has been shown in rough cuts at various places including Star Wars Celebration in 2007 and the Hamptons Film Festival in 2008. I was at the Hamptons for the screenings there. We had overwhelming responses and even won an award. We had special guests Doug Trumbull and the real Herb Lightman in our audience. After the film they both went up front to show there approval and answer questions.

The problem is it's an independent movie that ran out of funds before it was finished. When the funds ran out and the economy tanked a couple years ago, investors reluctantly stopped investing. When investors felt it was safe to continue, by that time the people who were working on it in post had since moved on to other projects. That doesn't sound like a big problem, but it takes a long time to make a movie. And you would be surprised how hard it is to get people together in the same place at the same time. Before we shot the scenes I worked on we had to reschedule three times in a span of seven months before everyone could come together.

These are just a few of the holdups. It's not easy making an indy film, and '77 is an extremely ambitious movie for the size of its original budget. But you can't blame Patrick Read Johnson for wanting to do whatever it takes to make this film be its very best before it is released, and producer Gary Kurtz has every intention of releasing the film when completed. Unfortunately for us, that means we have to wait until all hurtles are cleared before that release can happen.

But the wait will be worth it. As an insider I know the film's potential. Why release a film that is almost finished when you can take the time you need to do it right? Since the studios interested in the film are not putting up the money (and they won't if they don't have to), they aren't busting doors down to meet deadlines.

I hope this answers some questions. '77 will be released eventually.

That's great. I saw that 5-25-12 photo posted on Patrick's FB profile couple of days ago, but didn't think it would be related to the movie's release.

I remember reading the script back in 2002 - so glad to hear it's finally being released!

being a fellow filmmaker, I find it frustrating that indie films hang on in limbo or struggle to even get financed in the first place when we are constantly inundated by what was essentially considered "B" movies (in the past) with $200+ million budgets on a monthly basis. 10 films with a $20 million budget each could be made. 10 times more chances of a good film being made. Thats still enough money to make a "great" film if the right people are involved. I guess Hollywood Execs are gamblers at heart...if they indeed possess that particular organ....we know the mind is not there.

What Patrick has planned is exciting, and gives all of us who worked on the film a lot of hope that it could see a release sooner than later!

The name of this thread says, "5-25-77" or just "'77." Patrick and I were talking a few weeks ago about the film. He asked my opinion about the title (originally 5-25-77, then changed to '77 by the agency we were working with). I said I never liked the change, that '77 doesn't really say enough of what the film is about. I voted to change it back to 5-25-77. That was the original title, that's the focal point of the story. He was happy to hear that. Most people he talked to felt the same. I believe his mind is made up on this... 5-25-77 it will be.

The name of this thread says, "5-25-77" or just "'77." Patrick and I were talking a few weeks ago about the film. He asked my opinion about the title (originally 5-25-77, then changed to '77 by the agency we were working with). I said I never liked the change, that '77 doesn't really say enough of what the film is about. I voted to change it back to 5-25-77. That was the original title, that's the focal point of the story. He was happy to hear that. Most people he talked to felt the same. I believe his mind is made up on this... 5-25-77 it will be.

The title def resonates with all of us hardcore fans. But I think it does very little to attract other movie audience besides the fan base. Maybe something a little more poetic like "Coming to a galaxy ..." would´ve worked better. But 5-25-77 is still better than 77 ;)

The title def resonates with all of us hardcore fans. But I think it does very little to attract other movie audience besides the fan base. Maybe something a little more poetic like "Coming to a galaxy ..." would´ve worked better. But 5-25-77 is still better than 77 ;)

I see what you are saying, yet I think it's a safe title for audiences who are not of the Star Wars fan base because, from a story telling point of view, the focus is not so much the day Star Wars came out as it is a 'life changing' date for the main character. I think when you see the film––and please excuse me, I don't know if you have seen it at one of the few places it has been shown––you'll see that the title makes a lot of sense. Many other dates are flashed on screen during the course of the film during important events in the life of main character, Pat Johnson, that lead up to the most important date, 5-25-77. That's why I thought just '77 didn't work.

To those who don't know the significance, either one is just meaningless numbers to them. Either one with the right tagline would work.

The tagline's the key.

i dont get it. he is going to hollywood in his car for the 35th aniversary of starwars and needs 30000 bucks to do it? why would he need that much money? maybe im missing out on something, the page doesnt load correctly for me

There's a "show more" button where Patrick explains the whole thing (in a lot of detail):

5-25-12: The Jumpstart
by
Patrick Johnson

HELP "5-25-77" GET TO HOLLYWOOD!

On 5-25-12, the 35th Anniversary of the opening day of "Star Wars," I will depart Wadsworth, Illinois, in my 1975 Ford Pinto, on a 30-day, cross-country, road-trip Kickstarter campaign to finally bring "5-25-77" (Yes, THAT'S the title again and FOREVER!) to the screen.

As crazy as that sounds-- the CRAZIER thing is that a group of talented young filmmakers, which includes James Gelet, co-creator of the amazing documentary "The Shark is Still Working", (to be released on the upcoming Blu-Ray release of "JAWS"), has decided to accompany me on my journey. The 7-member crew plans to follow my expedition in an RV/Mobile editing room and small support/camera car to document both the highway adventure AND explore the long and winding road that my movie has traveled, in a film they're calling "Hearts of Dorkness: A Filmmaker's Oddyssey."

There are distributors who have said they'd be happy to release "5-25-77", as long as THEY didn't have to pay to finish it. My goal is to raise the 500K needed to do the final post-production work on “5-25-77” by asking the film’s intended audience to help me.

So-- For 30 days, I'll drive from Wadsworth, Illinois to Hollywood (and certain points North...), visiting places that have inspired the dreams of sci-fi fans and filmmakers alike. Devil’s Tower, Wyoming-- Meteor Crater, Arizona-- Roswell, New Mexico-- are just a few of the stops on the road-side attraction route. Along the way, I will test screen the film in small-town theaters, drive-ins, and even fans' backyards-- building awareness and gathering publicity with the help of influential media personalities who are ALREADY supporters of the film. (At least ONE of whom is actually IN the film!) If all goes according to plan-- and maybe ESPECIALLY if it DOESN’T-- by the end of the journey, we will hopefully have caught the attention of 3 very important people that I intend to visit and gift with copies of the film they inspired.

These 3 meetings will, in one way or another, bring emotional and artistic closure to a dream that started 35 years ago. And ONE meeting, in particular, will maybe-- just MAYBE-- finally help put "5-25-77" in theaters everywhere.

All of this will be documented and made available, daily, by the filmmakers-- (AND promoted by the many bloggers and sites that have shown support for us over the years) for viewing by anyone who wants to watch-- or better yet, INTERCEPT OUR COURSE, join the caravan, or otherwise participate in my journey to Hollywood and Beyond the Infinite-- with the best (and WORST) moments of the adventure finally condensed into “Hearts of Dorkness”.

Kickstarter campaigns based on IDEAS are generating THOUSANDS of times the money they seek, because independent thinkers are waking up to the idea that they can CHOOSE what they want to see or play or wear or read, rather than have these things chosen for them by people who could care less about anything but making the product as seemingly risk-free as possible.

"5-25-77” isn’t just an IDEA. It’s a nearly finished, already award-winning feature film that Kickstarter contributors along our route can actually SEE and appraise for themselves. Given the consistent and supportive interest by fans, from around the world, in seeing “5-25-77” finally come to the screen, I believe, that with your help to jumpstart the trip-- I can finally put "5-25-77" where it belongs-- In front of an audience.

$30,000 will cover the gas, food, camping, RV, support car, equipment rentals, and supplies for the documentary team's 30-day, 7500-mile journey.

In exchange for your help, you'll get bragging rights, the standard "warm fuzzy feeling", a slim hope that I'll eventually SHUT UP about this project, AND-- Every donation to the documentary filmmaker's "Hearts of Dorkness" FundRazr™ campaign will buy you an equal value premium in MY film's Kickstarter campaign!

So, please-- Help ME help THEM to help ME help the FANS to help ME show YOU "5-25-77"!

THANK YOU!

Check out the film's trailer here:
5-25-77 - YouTube

AND, take a look at this wonderful blog about the movie and my FundRazr efforts:

http://www.therockfather.com/blog/i...+and+Website+for+Parents+and+Kids+that+Rock!)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back