Patch Distressing & Aging

lightyears

Hi all,

I've found tidbits on various posts about ways to distress patches but nothing fully descriptive.

A user called NOSTROMO did a great job distressing this patch for a Brett costume he posted about back in 2015, but did not outline his process.

distressed-patch-jpg.jpg

Could any of you weigh in on your favorite methods? I have two patches I want to distress before adding to a jacket.

I have added multiple, diluted acrylic paint washes to patches, and then blotted them dry if I thought they looked too dark. Mix up a light gray, apply that, dab it dry. Wait a day, then mix up a light tan-gray wash, apply that, blot it dry, etc. I don't have any good before and after pics, but I posted a pic in my thread here (post # 10):

Alien (1979) Nostromo Crew, Attempt 2

The example you posted above looks like it also has had some very light sanding done to it. I have not done that to any of mine.

lightyears That I don't know – I've never done it myself. If I was going to try, I'd start with a very light sanding, using the finest grit material I had. I'd be very nervous about sanding too much – you can't undo it.

Another alternative might be to just throw the patches in with a load of your regular laundry. I wouldn't run them through the dryer, though, since the heat might activate the iron-on transfer adhesive on the back side, but the agitation of the washing might give them a little wear.

-MJ

Don't know if this helps, but I once had a patch too close to a velcro pad and it ended up being torn to pieces by the rough side of it (the plastic side of the velcro with the tiny hooks), I've never activelly tried to distress a patch, but sandpaper works well for all kinds of cloth, maybe a higher grit for something as delicate as a patch; 80 or 120?

lightyears That I don't know – I've never done it myself. If I was going to try, I'd start with a very light sanding, using the finest grit material I had. I'd be very nervous about sanding too much – you can't undo it.

Another alternative might be to just throw the patches in with a load of your regular laundry. I wouldn't run them through the dryer, though, since the heat might activate the iron-on transfer adhesive on the back side, but the agitation of the washing might give them a little wear.

-MJ

I think I am going to try the washing machine idea just to see how that goes, good thought

Don't know if this helps, but I once had a patch too close to a velcro pad and it ended up being torn to pieces by the rough side of it (the plastic side of the velcro with the tiny hooks), I've never activelly tried to distress a patch, but sandpaper works well for all kinds of cloth, maybe a higher grit for something as delicate as a patch; 80 or 120?

Great tip, thank you. I have sandpaper up to 400 grit so I guess I'll just start high and work my way down.

These are the patches I am going to distress before adding to a jacket:

il_570xN.1497364320_fkv3.jpg

the%2Bthing%2Boutpost%2B31%2Bpatch.jpg

I'm going to buy a Nostromo patch, does anybody know which is the most screen accurate available on the market today?

I'll attempt the methods that have been suggested and get right back to you. Mild bleaching is a good idea, it does work - just don't overdo it.

Great tip, thank you. I have sandpaper up to 400 grit so I guess I'll just start high and work my way down.

These are the patches I am going to distress before adding to a jacket:

View attachment 989583

View attachment 989584

This was my result, which I’m pretty happy with. Image attached (distressed and new)

Tea soak 24 hrs > sun 12 hrs > cold brew coffee soak 24 hrs > dry > 80 grit > 150 grit

Attachments

• 4C30C162-A3FB-4C4F-9666-BC22486995B3.jpeg
    4C30C162-A3FB-4C4F-9666-BC22486995B3.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,262
  • 626B32E6-4528-42B8-B905-42F8D1227C41.jpeg
    626B32E6-4528-42B8-B905-42F8D1227C41.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,319
I like the results (y)

I having to do the same for my Data jacket. Over 20 patches all weathered and sewn on. Fml, lol.

This was my result, which I’m pretty happy with. Image attached (distressed and new)

Tea soak 24 hrs > sun 12 hrs > cold brew coffee soak 24 hrs > dry > 80 grit > 150 grit

Do you feel like the sun made a difference? Because I like that idea but I'm curious how much effect a relatively short exposure would have.

Do you feel like the sun made a difference? Because I like that idea but I'm curious how much effect a relatively short exposure would have.

The sun was mostly to let the tea bath dry fully before i got home to give it another bath...i wish i could leave it outside for a long period of time to sun bleach it a bit - but I'm not that patient (and don't have a patio that would be exposed to sun long enough)

I'm going to buy a Nostromo patch, does anybody know which is the most screen accurate available on the market today?

I'll attempt the methods that have been suggested and get right back to you. Mild bleaching is a good idea, it does work - just don't overdo it.
The Nostromo patch set that Magnoli Clothiers sells has a high level of accuracy.

I find that steel wool also works well to distress patches realistically and on some occasions have buried a patch under soil for a week with good results.

Hi all,

I've found tidbits on various posts about ways to distress patches but nothing fully descriptive.

A user called NOSTROMO did a great job distressing this patch for a Brett costume he posted about back in 2015, but did not outline his process.

View attachment 989115

Could any of you weigh in on your favorite methods? I have two patches I want to distress before adding to a jacket.
Looks like the patch I made.original that is. Not distressed.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back