Part Identification Help

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Blue Leader, May 8, 2015.

1. Blue Leader

Blue Leader Well-Known Member

Hello! I've been working on a B-wing pilot costume for a while and have been trying to identify some of the parts that are on the helmet and chestbox (and just scratch-building what I can't identify to as closely as I can see) and now that another picture has surfaced showing some better details on some of the greeblies I was hoping that someone might be able to help me identify what they are, because so far I don't have a clue.

Firstly, I'm trying to identify these four parts...
    [​IMG]

I've tried to crop and enlarge them, and I've brightened up the pictures a little, too.

Orange arrow...
    [​IMG]

Green arrow...
    [​IMG]

Blue arrow...
    [​IMG]

Purple arrow...
    [​IMG]

For some time I've also been trying to figure out what kind of computer plug is on the flak vest in this picture...
    [​IMG]

Red arrow...
    [​IMG]

Does anyone happen to have any clue what those parts are?

I've found a socket connector that looks similar to the blue arrow, and is the right size, but it isn't the right color and the one in the picture above seems to be a little thinner with an extra ridge around the outside. This is the closest thing I've found so far.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. Sni9er

Sni9er Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The purple arrow seems to be an industrial female DIN connector like this one below:

con-8002_head_1.jpg

The Green is a Reversed CTS Pot used on guitars with some 2core/earth signal cable attached

Mojotone-CTS-250K-Potentiometer-Solid-Shaft-image.jpg

the Blue is an 50 way M Series Connector Block:

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0da0/0900766b80da09ff.pdf

(picture on site is of the type not the actual connector see above data sheet:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-housings/6808976/

the Red arrow is just the reverse mounted version of the Blue arrow (the terminating pins)

sorry i cant help with the orrange the image is just too low resolution !! maybe a spray pained thermocouple connector ??? real shot in the dark there !!

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/thermocouples/4094908/

hope it helps !!

Attached Files:

minifig and thd9791 like this.
  3. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

THAT was impressive!

mugatu likes this.
  4. Sni9er

haha thanks !!! string of good luck what can i say !! i'm surrounded by electronics most days so one day it had to come in useful right ? haha

mugatu likes this.
  5. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Is the blue arrow some type of tray for holding tools (brushes, pens, I don't know)? Just spitballing here...

6. Katscan

Katscan Member

Curses Sni9er! lol the one time I figured out what one of the pieces was.....you beat me to it! The M 50 connector.

Great job identifying those parts!!

- - - Updated - - -

Read Sni9er's reply. He correctly ID'd the (blue arrow) part.

7. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

That'll teach me to just skim the posts before writing something! :lol

8. Blue Leader

Wow, that was impressive! Thanks. I'll have to look into those.

The only question I have is the blue arrow, the connector thing. The one you looked looks like the piece I linked, this one, or at least it does in the diagram, and I have that piece... But it's missing the ridge around the outside edge. There's a picture of the piece I have below, and it looks really, really close, but it doesn't have the ridge around the outside. \
    [​IMG]

And yeah, the resolution isn't very good in the picture. It's the biggest picture I could find. The orange arrow piece seems to have some sort of big silver block and then a black rectangular piece coming out from the bottom, or it could possibly be two parts (it looks like there might be a separation in the middle of the black piece). Not sure what it is. In another picture it looks like the silver piece might have some sort of writing on the front, possibly... Or at least it has some black markings on it. Assuming that it's the same piece, some of the greeblies are different on this chestbox, but it looks similar...
    [​IMG]

Though, granted, if the black marks are writing that could have been added later by the customers.

9. Blue Leader

The May Star Wars Insider had a clearer picture of the white suit B-wing pilot in my first post so I scanned it in and thought maybe it would help to identify a couple of the parts better. The big silver rectangular greeblie in the black trench, I think I might have figured out what it is. I noticed that, if you look closely, on the side of the piece is says "OMRON", and I looked it up and found OMRON relays. OMRON is a Japanese electronics company established in 1933 and, from what I can understand, it sounds like the relays are used in vehicles. Comparing a modern OMRON relay to the picture they look to be fairly similar. I suspect that the one on the costume might be a clear plastic relay (there are also gray and black plastic relays) which would explain why the greeblie is so shiny (though it could be silver, it's hard to say), and the lines that are seen on the greeblie in other pre-production shots might be the components inside the relay.

So, now that I know what it is (I think) I was hoping that someone who knew more about electronic components than I do might be able to help identify the correct model of the relay, which I assume the model would be from somewhere around the late 1970s to around 1982. Here's a picture of one of the various types of modern OMRON relays, and this is the closest match I could find to the chestbox one, but as you can see the logo isn't right and it just doesn't have some of the other details, like the two protrusions on the left side...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm also still trying to find the correct model for this greeblie...
    |[​IMG]

I also tried to crop another picture of the long black greeblie under the OMRON greeblie, but the picture didn't come out very clearly...
    [​IMG]

And, while I know that this is a long shot, I've also been trying to figure out one other greeblie. It's the greeblie the arrow is pointing to in the picture below. I realize it's unlikely that anyone will have a clue as to what it is because it's pretty tiny in the picture and when enlarged it just becomes a big blur, but the shape is kind of different with what looks like two claw-like parts coming out of the bottom, so I figured that I might as well give it a shot...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have a question about the CTS pot... Does that part have some kind of base that it fits into on guitars? I've just been trying to think of ways to attach it to the chestbox. (I've also been researching the correct model. Haven't come up with much so far. Might just have to go with a "close enough" one.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  10. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the 50 pin M series connector looks so familiar. I have a gray (rubberish) socket like that, but much smaller, I recognize the material. let me look through my junk pile..

11. deadbolt

deadbolt Sr Member

The Red-Arrow part looks allot like a Guitar pickup, which interestingly looks to have a wire running to it from the Green-Arrowed potentiometer which was also commonly used on guitars, as Sni9er pointed out.

Allot of guitar potentiometers usually have a threaded section around the knob-post with a nut that tightens it to a pick-guard, kinda like guitar tuners have, so you should be able to mount it to the chestbox fairly easily that way.

-Carson

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  12. Sni9er

for the pot mounting basically it's the butt end your looking at to mount you only need to drilll a 6/7mm hole and screw the provided nut over the shaft for comfort you may want to cut of the end of the shaft though:

pt0001-1000.gif

you don't need a CTS pot exactly but one with the correct style base will be ok the problem is the bottom is rarely pictured in shots for sale as most now a days are just flat bottomed

also to add more that red arrow is defo the male version of the above plug

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0daf/0900766b80daf797.pdf
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-housings/6808967/

to make your blue arrow match I think you just need the "Pin Hood" part to make it a match see page 24 of the above PDF this will make the connector match your reference (remember you will be looking at the connector from the back side (from the "Panel" in the below diagram):

[​IMG]

thd9791 likes this.
  13. Blue Leader

Ooh, I see. So you think that extra ridge around it might be the "pin hood" thing? Interesting. I'll have to take a look at that!

As for the guitar pot thing, yeah, I noticed most of the pictures only show the side with the screw. I've seen a few that didn't have a flat face and looked somewhat more like the chestbox one... I might just get one that looks close enough and I could always slap a little paint onto it for the dark gray circle.

Hm, that's an interesting idea. By "guitar pickup" are you referring to something like this? could be, but it looks like some kind of computer connector to me, like something might plug into it (if it were still attached to the cord and was working).

14. Sni9er

the red arrow is the male version of the M50 connector FYI :p

page one of that PDF i linked :

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Also here is a CTS pot with the same colour FR4 PCB materiel and base moulding i don't think there is a dark grey circle more just the lighting of two offset flat reflective surfaces giving the illusion of a different shade anyway here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTS-450G-50...455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf68268ff

$_57.JPG

Blue Leader and thd9791 like this.
  15. Blue Leader

Oh, thanks for the link! And I think you might be right about the red arrow.

Huh, it's going to take some figuring out how to attach that male piece to the vest. Hmm...Maybe they whacked off half of the black piece? Or maybe they took out the prongs, put them in backwards and glued the black piece so the face was facing the material? I'm going to have to think on that one for a while. XD

16. Blue Leader

So I got extremely lucky on Ebay earlier this week... I was going to buy an OMRON relay that looked "close enough" because I had no idea what the accurate model was and couldn't find anything that matched (and I've been looking for quite a while). And then as I was looking around I spotted a relay that looked rather familiar... It's the accurate OMRON relay from the B-wing pilot chestbox! Looks to be the exact model and everything. I have no idea how I managed to find it, it was by pure luck alone, and I bought it the instant I saw it. :p

Here's a quick shot of it with the flash on my camera on so it reflects like it does in the pictures...
    [​IMG]

ywingfighter likes this.
  17. ywingfighter

ywingfighter Well-Known Member

Great found!

Blue Leader likes this.
  18. Zaphod Bezerker

Zaphod Bezerker New Member

I have the part identified by the blue arrow.
    It is a 50 pin male winchester connector, part number for the grey one is MRAC50P.
    I have one in black and one in grey. The square holes in the back of the grey one are easily drilled out if necessary. I think these connectors may even come in green.
    These are pics of the back and face of both connectors.
    View attachment 489688 View attachment 489690

19. Zaphod Bezerker

I have the part identified by the blue arrow.
    It is a 50 pin male winchester connector, part number for the grey one is MRAC50P.
    I have one in black and one in grey. The square holes in the back of the grey one are easily drilled out if necessary. I think these connectors may even come in green.
    These are pics of the back and face of both connectors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blue Leader and SofaKing01 like this.
  20. Blue Leader

Oh wow, thanks for finding that! I'm definitely going to have to see if I can find one of those! :)

21. Zaphod Bezerker

Let me know how you make out

22. Blue Leader

Sure thing! I've been slowly getting my B-wing pilot costume together. I need to update my progress thread here...

23. chizbot

chizbot Active Member

I'm with deadbolt... That is a guitar pickup with the backside facing out... looks like a mini humbucker of some sort. If you know where the prop was built, it might narrow down which brand of cheap electric guitar it came from.... (Tiesco Del Ray or some other Italian cheapy if in the UK, or Kay in the US for example)

*edit- retracted... I've just seen the insides of too many cheap guitars in my life. ;)

24. thawn_es

thawn_es Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

hi!
    Blue Leader, what is the OMRON type you find?
    thanks!

25. Blue Leader

I picked up a couple guitar pots (always good to have an extra just in case) in as close of a style as I could find. I'm still on the hunt for a three-strand cord to attach to it.

I'd need to look at it again, but I think its an OMRON Type MY4Z. It looks like there are various variation in the MY4Z line but I have no idea which variation it is, it just says "Type MY4Z" on the front. If it helps, I believe it goes to some type of Matsuura machine.

26. thawn_es

thawn_es Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks mate!

27. Blue Leader

Well, I've been trying to locate one of these but haven't had any luck so far. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy one of these? I can't find any on Ebay, searching on Google came up with nothing, and they're not listed on the Winchester Electronics site, either. I found one surplus store that has them but they require a minimum $50 purchase...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  28. Zaphod Bezerker

Where I work we use these connectors so I have then on hand. You want a black or the grey.

-Pete

29. Blue Leader

So I've got almost everything for my costume (and thanks for the connector, Zaphod Bazerker, it worked just right!), but I'm still trying to find the connector on the vest. I keep staring at the picture and it just doesn't look like the male end of a 50 pin connector to me. I can't swear to that, I might be wrong, but I'm just not seeing it... Though it's also very possible that I'm just not seeing something in the picture or I'm not looking at it right...

[​IMG]

I see two rows of some type of connector (black plastic maybe?) on a silver metal base. On one side of the base I see three screw holes and on the other side there only appears to be one hole, though it's possible that the other two holes aren't clearly visible because of a shine or something. To me it almost looks like two of these on a metal base, though it probably isn't those connectors exactly, I'm just using them as an example. I can't swear to any of that, though.

I've been searching high and low for any kind of plug that's even remotely similar but haven't come up with anything yet...

(FYI, the cord that you see in front of it isn't part of the connector. It's a cord that hangs off of the chestbox.)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  30. Blue Leader

So, I might actually have a lead on the vest plug.

[​IMG]

I can't swear that it's the same piece but it does look similar. Unfortunately, the ones on Ebay are really expensive. One person is asking $90 for one, though there's also an auction for one for $40. I'll have to look around and see if I can find any cheaper...

31. Zaphod Bezerker

What is the manufacturers name for that connector? It looks very similar to a Centronics style connector. Try a Google search for Centronics.

-Pete

32. Blue Leader

The one in the picture is an Amphenol. Amphenol 26-4200-24S, I think. Or at least that's the picture that came up when I Googled "Amphenol 26-4200-24S". :p

I'll look for Centronics, too.

Edit:
    Is this what you're talking about?
    [​IMG]

33. Blue Leader

Wow. Talk about customer service going down the crapper... I found a retailer called CASA Modular that sells the Amphenol connector for a moderately decent price ($25) but I wanted to make sure of the dimensions so I asked them if they could tell me what the dimensions were... They E-mailed me a tiny diagram with writing on it that I could barely make out, and I wasn't sure what some of the writing meant, so I asked them how to read the picture. Their reply? One of the most rude customer service replies I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

So... they're not getting my business. If anyone knows where I might be able to find one of these Amphenol connectors without it costing an arm and a leg please let me know, it would be much appreciated. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  34. Zaphod Bezerker

35. Blue Leader

I might be able to modify one, I'm not sure. I'll have to study it a bit. I'd prefer to just find the Amphenol but I have a hard time justifying $45 for a small computer plug, let alone $90 or $100. But I might have to break down and do it. It looks like the plugs are still being made (I think) so I'm not sure why they're so hard to find and why they're so expensive... CASA Modular was more reasonable at $25 but after the way they treated me for asking a simple question there's no way in hell I'm giving them any business.

Digi-key doesn't sell them, another place I checked doesn't sell them, a computer surplus store has never gotten back to me... Hmm...

Edit: Looking at pictures again, I think it might actually be a 32 pin that I need, not a 24 pin. Amphenol 26-4200-32S, I guess. I have found a few retailers online that supposedly have some 32 pins in stock but don't have prices listed so I had to get quotes. Some others don't have pictures showing, and because there's a 26-4100-32S that looks a little different, I asked if they could send me a picture of the one they have for sale to make sure it's the right part. Hopefully something will work out.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    Zaphod Bezerker likes this.