Part ID - Plane engine Cowel?

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ring any bells with anyone?

2rqdl3s.jpg

The best pic I have. This is a prop that may have been entirely 3d rendered, but there are a few parts that look found - the 'engine', the mouthpiece seems based on a clip-on 'book reading' light, body looks kinda like a blue-tooth headset, but may be too large. The whole thing:

169n7r9.jpg

29mwweo.jpg

Book Light
iy25op.jpg

Yes, I'd agree it could be either a turbo-supercharger or a model aircraft wheel. The wheel looks more likely given there is a much greater selection of them, plus turbo's usually have something impinging on the center 'hub' area, which this example does not seem to have. Again, if it were originally created in CAD and then printed, then all bets are off. FWIW...

R/ Robert

Ok seeing all these parts in the renders I can also see it being a wheel. Those to small squarish pieces look like they could be from a cockpit interior. I see the book light and the bluetooth head set. I was going to look at the studio scale.com to see if I could find the parts but the site seems to be gone now.

Yeah, I think they use a lot of stuff as 'inspiration' and incorporate them into a 3D model. It does look like a plane wheel, but the scale would be too big too big to come from a normal kit.

My first thought when I saw it was possibly a Back to The Future DeLorean wheel mounted inside a bomber tire from something like a B-29 kit. But I'm not so sure since the DeLorean has a 4 lug pattern I believe. But I suppose it still could be with a different center cap? Just a thought. I didn't count the spokes though.

Bill

This may have been kit bashed prop that is being done as a 3-D model. Lots of people seem to enjoy making 3-D renders of real props. The wheel may be from a 1/24 scale kit and that would be big enough for the bluetooth head set. I was trying to find some of the wheels form the old air fix kits but the one with the wheels is just not easy to get to in my messy garage. I will try and get it down later today. The wheels on those old kits had two different styles you could choose one was rubber wheels and the the other was two plastic parts I suppose for wheels up or down.

Oh well, if it's a DeLorean wheel then it's from an inaccurate kit. DeLorean wheels have something like 40 spokes. I hsven't found anything that resembles this yet.

The profile of the 'wheel' part is such that I think it may actually be based on an aircraft engine cowling, such as from a Ju88 (BMW 801 engines, not the Jumo engines...) The cross section has too much curvature for a "tire". The center insert is something else, however not representative of a radial (or even a turbine) engine face.

R/ Robert

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back