Part 2 Jason Translucent Resin Bust

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey folks. Been a little while since I’ve last checked in! I don’t have a lot of time to do projects like this these days.. paint commissions keep me pretty busy, which I am thankful for! That said.. when I had some time open up? I jumped on it.

This was sculpted in a week or so, I think. Cast in Smooth-Cast 325, with dental acrylic teeth and tongue. All work was done by me, except for the gorgeous eyes by my friends at Fourth Seal Studios.

I hope I can do more projects like this in the future, and I hope you enjoy the piece. Thanks for checking it out! I’ll throw some WIP photos below.

4937BEA0-8605-4D97-9866-215B2BA1006F.jpeg
B2F159A6-3227-4387-9B42-5B2A404731CB.jpeg
AA85E4B4-8A41-4D08-9B06-266C897EE1C6.jpeg
76A123AD-EBEF-445F-989F-A6A475E64A07.jpeg
7E7EA188-EBB0-46AE-9184-922D9A5E2A05.jpeg

I tell you what I made a life size PVC manneq- for an aliens colonial marine display over 15 year's ago and I had to name him "bob" to keep from getting freaked out every time I came home from work. he stood behind my front door and every single day I thought someone was in my apartment. I couldn't keep your beauty bust in my house at all.... DAMN!! :eek:

Beautiful work!. I have to try this kind of things with clear resin. I have used 325 but never for something like this,
Is it intrinsic painting?, or you painted over the tinted resin. The paint job is outstanding.
Congrats.

Many Thanks funboy1013xx, udog, and Spaceace! I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Beautiful work!. I have to try this kind of things with clear resin. I have used 325 but never for something like this,
Is it intrinsic painting?, or you painted over the tinted resin. The paint job is outstanding.
Congrats.

Thanks again!

This was all painted over the resin in very thin washes. I mostly used Tim Gore’s bloodline thinned with 99% IPA. I tried to treat it like I was painting silicone, glad you like it!

That's a gorgeous job! Congrats!
I was wondering how you managed to sculpt the inside of the mouth? Did you cut the resin part inside the mouth and then sculpted the inside a part, trying to make it fit?

Thank you!

I sculpted the teeth separately, the front was more like a veneer but the lower palate is full and has a key sculpted in to lock with the tongue. I placed resin forms in the mouth when I was sculpting and then covered them with clay for molding. To attach them I just Dremel out the flashing around the mouth and use Apoxy Sculpt to bond and fill any gaps.

Hope that helps, many thanks!

I get pumped every time I see a new thread from you. Killer (pun intended) work! Paint job is awesome.

Question about using Bloodline--how much do you normally thin it compared to something like this?

I get pumped every time I see a new thread from you. Killer (pun intended) work! Paint job is awesome.

Question about using Bloodline--how much do you normally thin it compared to something like this?

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it very much!

How thinned on this vs an opaque bust? It is exactly the same, I just had to do a little less layering. I add a drop or two of paint in the airbrush cup and fill the rest with alcohol. Spatter passes with a chipbrush are mixed even thinner. Hope that helps somewhat!

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it very much!

How thinned on this vs an opaque bust? It is exactly the same, I just had to do a little less layering. I add a drop or two of paint in the airbrush cup and fill the rest with alcohol. Spatter passes with a chipbrush are mixed even thinner. Hope that helps somewhat!

Exactly what I was looking for. Another question; with it thinned out so much, how do you achieve such tight veining? It always seems to spread too much, even when I adjust my PSI down in my airbrush.

Exactly what I was looking for. Another question; with it thinned out so much, how do you achieve such tight veining? It always seems to spread too much, even when I adjust my PSI down in my airbrush.

I have a lot of trouble with veining. It’s something I want to get better with, particularly the patterning of them.

How I do them right now is I use a higher pressure and just try to move quickly. I have to go over areas more than once to build up the tone, it isn’t just a one line and done kind of thing. If you go too slow the paint will want to spider web a bit and that can be cleaned up with a cotton swab.

The tiny surface veining and capillaries are done with a 100/0 Artje brush, I’ll see if I can find the full name.

Edit: it is the “Artetji 630 Camlon Pro Plata 100/0 Micro Paint Brush.” I don’t know if I’m allowed to post eBay links here but they are $15 over there, 100% worth it. Jordu recommended it to me for eyes and it has become one of my favorite brushes.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back