Parks Sabers - any advice?

Inquisitor Peregrinus

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been told they can take a while to respond to e-mails, and I acknowledge I want a slightly custom order (non-lightsaber Graflex handle only), but how long should I wait? It's been about a year. Any advice on how to maybe actually elicit a reply?

--Jonah

Hi Jonah,

It may be easier to dig up a real G R A F L E X from ebay or a local vintage camera shop perhaps?

Chaim

Is it because you're worried that if you order their graflex it will come with grips attached?

I would guess that it wouldn't since it's offered for camera collectors.

I've only e-mailed once, looking for the guts to buy, and they answered in okay time. But mostly if I'm ordering parts I just order, and I receive my receipt right away, and delivery no problem.

@Sym-Cha -- Because I'd rather pay ~$150 for a replica that I have no compunction about doing awful things to than a lot more for a genuine antique that are getting rarer and rarer to find, thanks to Star Wars prop replicators buying them up to make lightsabers.

@NeoRutty -- When you do the actual order, is there a "notes" section where one might ask for it in pieces or with something left out? If you got a quick reply and Ive gotten nada, I'll try it again. I don't like to be a pest to smaller operations, since I know they tend to be busy trying to actually fill orders and don't have time to sit online answering every little quibble. So this was what I was hoping for -- other people's experiences with their response time. :)

--Jonah

@NeoRutty -- When you do the actual order, is there a "notes" section where one might ask for it in pieces or with something left out? If you got a quick reply and Ive gotten nada, I'll try it again. I don't like to be a pest to smaller operations, since I know they tend to be busy trying to actually fill orders and don't have time to sit online answering every little quibble. So this was what I was hoping for -- other people's experiences with their response time. :)

--Jonah

I honestly don't remember... but I think you pay with paypal, you could leave the note there.

My guess is it comes bare bones.... but I'd be interested in knowing because I plan on grabbing two mpp replicas down the line.

Someone I know on another forum just ordered 6 MPP's without any issues as far as I know ... just the time to make those is longer then for one MPP replica I suppose ... so try again and find out ... curious what are you intending to do with a graflex replica, which you are unwilling to do to a real vintage one ... besides the obvious difference in price?

The guys at Bapty just went ahead too with screws, D-rings and Exactra parts ... and hence we've got a remarkable prop to recreate ;) ... looking forward to your lightsaber in progress :)

Chaim

I'm going to mill in the circumferential grooves and replicate the "telegraph button" and other features of the "Supertrooper" proto-Fett blaster barrel version of Graflex:

CIMG0333.jpg

Why I don't need any of the other lightsaber kibble. The lightsabers I'm building (stunt and hero versions of the same one) are customs for a custom Clone Wars Jedi General. And I feel bad about destroying any antiques that are getting harder to find. I have a Mauser C96 (Bolo version, but still) that I've had for years because I love he gun. I use it also for reference to "accurize" my Denix... Mauser-like sculpture (I won't call it a replica). I appreciate the folks who do the work to turn an actual Wartime Commercial C96 into a blank-firing replica of the ANH hero DL-44, but I could never do that. Likewise if I ran across an actual Webley & Scott Mark I flare gun. And so forth. I feel better paying drastically less for accurate replicas of original items that I can butcher willy-nilly. ;)

--Jonah

I ordered a couple of MPP parts from them earlier in the month so we'll see how it goes... though I haven't heard anything - even an email confirming the order - so far... the only way I knew my order went through was trough the charge on me CC. Make sure you print off/screen grab your order summary after you place your order if you go through with it!

@Sym-Cha -- Because I'd rather pay ~$150 for a replica that I have no compunction about doing awful things to than a lot more for a genuine antique that are getting rarer and rarer to find, thanks to Star Wars prop replicators buying them up to make lightsabers.

My sentiments, exactly.

I'm anxious on how this turns out as well. Been seriously considering picking up a Parks MPP (I really just need the body and shroud, all the extra outside bits, I can manage) to round out my collection but the things I've heard about Parks over the years; my confidence is more than shaken, let's say. However, I don't know anyone else that makes a good, affordable replica MPP.

Let the rest of us know how your order works out.

From everything I've heard and from my own experience ordering from them, expect to wait almost a year (possibly over a year) to get what you ordered. No joke.. but hey, at least you will get your product... eventually. I've also heard their communication is severely lacking.

Jeff at Parks takes a while to get back on sabers. The sabers are nice, but the response time is a bit slow.

I would suggest posting a wanted add on some of the saber forums for the replica graflex. You may get a few hits there. (FX-Sabers, IRA). Many of the ANH replicas don't have holes predrilled.

Have you tried searching for an actual telegraph style graflex? They pop up semi frequently and don't go for nearly as high a price as the "right one" used for lightsabers.
In fact, I sold one years ago for about $40.

Really? I know Art's been looking for one for years with no joy. I'll look, but if you stumble across one, do please let me know...? *wibbly anime eyes*---

--Jonah

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back