Parkplace06's IronMan Mark VI 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

parkplace06

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

I am entering the costume contest and will be using my iron man mark VI costume. Though it's not at 100% right now, It will be in the next week or two.

suit minus gloves and boots.JPG

front shot of suit.jpeg

This is my first actual build and I am very proud of it. It started out with me wanting to build something cool for me and my son, and then coming across this site and all of the awesome templates. As of today, I have about 3 weeks experience in costuming and building props.

Since I am very new, I followed the build from the top down and so I started with the helmet. Later I read that was wrong and the helmet should be done near the end. I look back and say, yep that sounds right. I made a lot of small mistakes on the helmet such as no angled cuts, no heat applied to the foam, and using way too much glue. I mean way too much.

Some of the challenges I faced were making sure to follow the templates as closely as possible, and just improving my skills and technique. The templates are excellent and as long as I followed the templates, then the suit would look good.

Overall I'm proud of the whole suit since it's my first. I'm amazed out how easy you guys make it to build, but I was really proud after creating the shins since I read those are difficult, and when I put them side by side, they came out really good. The same goes for the thighs, and arms as well.

outside in suit.jpeg

Well I finished my first suit today and it took about 2 weeks. Overall I am very pleased, but see several things I will do different next time. Here are some photos of it through out the build. Each pic builds on the previous and includes a new piece. Next post will contain full suit pic!

IMG_1034.jpg
shoulder2.jpeg
suit with arms.JPG
abs included.JPG
abs and cod.JPG
suit minus gloves and boots.JPG
boots front on.JPG

Here it is the full suit(minus gloves). I am very pleased and would love any feedback so let me have it. I would like to hear anything that could help me out next time if you see something or don't see something let me know please.

contest photo.JPG
full suit in helmet - no gloves.JPG
full suit - front shot 1 - no helmet or gloves.JPG
full suit - front shot 2 - no helmet or gloves.JPG
full suit - back - no helmet or gloves.JPG

I noticed that when I am in the suit I stand about 6' 2". I am about 5' 9.5" or 5' 10". You can see the door hinge as reference.

Looks good buddy, im working on the same suit, first time as well..tricky stuff but it gets sweeter with every completed piece.

Thanks man. I agree and I feel really good now that it's almost done. Each time I would complete a piece I felt myself improving and picking up on new little things. I also got an angle foam cutter which helps greatly.

Now I'm looking around to see what suit I want to do next.

just an update and a bump. Not much work done but after some wear around the house and me having it stand on the invisible dummy for a few weeks gravity took over and I need to do some repairs on the knee joints. I'm going to buy washers to reinforce them. Or does anyone know of a solution that will help them from coming apart due to stress.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back