Parkerized finish on wood?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

TristanArtSD

Hey everyone, I have a spray-paint question for you! Is there a rattle can spray paint (or paints) that can mimic the parkerizing effect, but on wood? I know there's DuraPark, but my guess is that it wouldn't work on wood. Plus of course, I don't need it to be functionally parkerized, just an approximation of the look.

I've been building a set of blaster replicas (from my sci fi comic) and I tried using a light grey primer and then 'dusting' a matte black paint over that but it really just ended up with me coating them entirely in black (I'm pretty okay at drawing comics but I'm a rank amateur at real-life painting lol). At the end of the day, these are really just for me to use to create photo-reference so I can draw better comic panels so it's not super-critical they be color-accurate or anything. But I'm curious about building other character's blasters and trying to make them look a little more "realistic".

Weathering would improve their look a lot, I'm sure, so I think I'd like to try my hand at that as well. Thanks in advance!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

TristanArtSD

I use Krylon Ultra Flat Black. It looks a fair amount like Parkerizing, and I'm sure it's much cheaper than Durapark.
Cool, I'll add that to my list of things to check out. The paint I used on these other blasters is some generic flat black that I got for like a buck at Walmart a decade ago so that Krylon is probably a much better option. Thanks!

TristanArtSD

The closest thing I could find is Rustoleum Chalked Charcoal. You would need to seal the wood and ensure that no wood grain shows through, ruining the look.

Browning M2HB, M2A1, M3 & AN/M2 machine gun 3D printed - Terminator RSB-80?

TazMan2000
Ah cool, another contender to check out. Thanks! Yeah, dealing with the wood grain is a huge pain. The places I used poplar cooperated a little better but the spots where I used pine look much more obviously of painted wood. (Current wood prices are making me build using the absolute cheapest stuff I can find)

Krel

Sr Member
I've seen three different shades of parkerizing, black, an olive green and grey. What they all have in common, is that they are all a flat, matt, non-reflective finish. So any flat black, or grey, depending on your preference, should do.

David.

TazMan2000

Master Member
Ah cool, another contender to check out. Thanks! Yeah, dealing with the wood grain is a huge pain. The places I used poplar cooperated a little better but the spots where I used pine look much more obviously of painted wood. (Current wood prices are making me build using the absolute cheapest stuff I can find)

Wood putty/filler and sanding between coats will probably be needed. Wood grain is indeed a PIA.

TazMan20000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.