"ParaNorman" - Laika's next stop-motion animated film

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by D48thRonin, Oct 28, 2011.

1. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've spent the last thirteen months of my life working on this film, and I gotta say that I haven't been this proud of the work that I've been doing in quite some time.

The teaser trailer went live today:

Yahoo! Movies: ParaNorman (2012)

The trailer can also be seen in select theaters before Puss in Boots starting today, and will also be shown this holiday season before Hugo and The Adventures of Tintin... and apparently it will also be attached to the next Twilight film as well.

2. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Oh that looks great. Nice!! You have every reason to be proud.

3. Weequay

Weequay Well-Known Member

That is beautiful.

Were you an animator?

Weequay

4. D48thRonin

Model maker - the model shop being a department of the set shop. It was our job to create "the world" that everything takes place in.

5. Patattack

Patattack Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gorgeous! I'm so glad that stop-motion still gets made, in this world of CGI. You and your shop have done an incredible job, by the looks of it.

6. d_osborn

d_osborn Sr Member

that's beautiful work! thanks for posting.

7. TJack

TJack Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Coraline and Nightmare are 2 of my all time favorite movies, and specifically because stop motion is so amazing. Great job, I can't wait to see the movie.

8. D48thRonin

It's taken hundreds of people over a year and a half to get this far, and the animators are still hard at work.

As you might imagine, stop-motion is a rather time-consuming and laborious process, but my god does it look beautiful :love There have been some shots that even *I* have been amazed by. Believe me, I'm right there with you guys in saying "I can't wait to see it!"

9. D48thRonin

And now the official site is up:

http://paranorman.com

About that Instagram link (the third icon after Facebook and Twitter). It could be just me, but I can find no visible way to navigate to the other photos.

I actually created an Instagram account this morning (using a co-worker's smart phone), and it's also accessible online through Webstagram - I can see all of the pics that way. They have some cool shots up, and I'm guessing they're gonna keep adding pics until the release. So do what you have to do to access that Instagram site - there's neat stuff to be seen.

10. seven

seven Sr Member

I just came across the trailer yesturday and I am very excited to see more. I am a huge fan of Coraline and am excited to see Laika's next stop-motion film. Whish I could stop by Laika and tour the sets and model department to see all the stuff you guys are making for the film.

11. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

I have to say I'm impressed with what I've seen thus far. You and your crew definitely created an interesting "world" for this type of story. :)

12. D48thRonin

13. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

14. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

D48thRonin, ParaNorman looks fantastic!

Coraline is probably my favorite animation of all time. What would you say were the technical advances Laika made from Coraline to ParaNorman?

Thanks and Congrats,
    Mike

15. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can't wait for this to come out. Such a good buzz is building around this flick.

It's a new golden age for stop motion in my book. Such beautiful high quality work is being done right now.

Nick

16. D48thRonin

Several behind-the-scenes vids here:

ParaNorman #WeirdWins

Thanks - I'm glad that people are excited about it.

As for technical advances, I'd say that the Rapid Prototyping Department has really pushed the envelope with the 3D printed puppet faces - they're pretty mind-boggling.

17. Camaro91

Camaro91 Active Member

I've always been a fan of stop motion and cannot wait to see this one and how the story pans out. It's cool that you worked on it, looks great from the trailers!

18. JRedmond3

JRedmond3 New Member

I've always been a fan of stop-motion stuff and it's nice to see it's being kept alive, I'm sure it's a lot easier to go the CG route but they can't capture the depth of stop motion.

19. D48thRonin

Just to be clear, technically it's a blend of traditional stop-motion animation with some CG enhancements. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's probably 85% stop-mo, 15% CG (but that's purely a guess).

I got a copy of the "Art of" book yesterday - it's pretty nice! Unfortunately, the model shop is very much under-represented. There is a two-page spread featuring several props that we created (including a few that I made) but it's only about 2% of the total that we produced - we made a massive amount of stuff.

20. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those videos are fantastic!

The seam removal on the faces is interesting as is the removal of support systems like in the bicycle sequence. Cool use of modern tech.

I'm a bit torn on what I think about the printed "pre-animated" face replacement system. It's interesting and I'm all for experimenting with new techniques but a process like that almost begs the question "why do it stop motion if you are going plan and sculpt all the performances in the computer beforehand?"

The limitations of what a puppet can achieve have traditionally been an important part of the aesthetic and appeal of stop motion. I love how Wes Anderson imbraced the fur boil in fantastic mr fox. It quirky visual affect that is unique to stop motion puppetry.

It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together.

Nick

I

21. Dagnie

Dagnie Well-Known Member

You've done such an incredible job. The moment I saw the poster for the movie, even, I knew I wanted to see it. The animation and creation of the characters and world is just so gorgeous.

You must require a lot of patience to do stop-motion, huh? An amount of patience that is completely worth it in the end, however, I'm sure. ;u;
    The end product is beautifully done to say the least. I love it~

22. dylanwho

dylanwho New Member

This looks so good, man!

23. D48thRonin

Thanks - I'm glad you think so!

I actually saw the finished film last weekend and couldn't be more proud to have been a part of its production - it really is pretty magnificent. It opens this Friday - the 17th - so please go check it out, and help support Laika's mission to keep the art of stop-motion animation alive and viable.

ParaNorman | This Little Light - YouTube

This is a cool little video that gives you a bit of insight into what a collaborative process it is to make a film like ParaNorman, with just *one* prop out of thousands - in this case, a table lamp from the Blithe Hollow Town Hall Archives.

It's also a tad bit misleading as well, unfortunately - the glass blowing was not done in-house at Laika (it was farmed out to a local artist), and they skipped the part where the base was molded and a resin casting is what was electroplated and utilized for the final prop.

The concept drawing was done by Alan Cook, the base pattern making and neck soldering (and final assembly) were done by Keith McQueen, the electroplating and polishing was done by Daniel Miller, the wiring/practical lighting was done by Matt DeLeu, and the painting/finishing was done by Leigh-Alexandra Jacob.

24. Amish Trooper

Amish Trooper Sr Member

I am seeing this Friday or Saturday. In 3d or regular. Up in the air on that part. Excited about this.

25. D48thRonin

I'd suggest 3D, since it was shot in 3D... but I know that some people have trouble with 3D movies.

26. Amish Trooper

Amish Trooper Sr Member

oh no , that is great! I hate it when it is filmed in 2d then converted. You convinced me 3d it is....

27. Master of Fear

Master of Fear New Member

Were you on the Nightmare team? Cause The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of the greatest movies of all time. Sucks that they don't have the whole " Haunted Holiday" motif in Orlando Florida like they do California

28. D48thRonin

Nope - wasn't on Nightmare. ParaNorman was my first foray into stop-motion.

29. agliarept

agliarept Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Loved paranorman. for me, surpassed all other Stop Motion films hands down. it had everything I could ever ask for a funny horror film.

the witch was terrifying, and all the subtle (and not so subtle) nods to other horror films were great. LOVED "the thing" ish score you heard at times. just loved it.

30. Amish Trooper

Amish Trooper Sr Member

Loved it, family loved it! Plan on going back and checking it out again

31. D48thRonin

Glad to hear that's it's getting some love (which it deserves) :thumbsup

I think I need to see it again, myself - there's a lot to take in.

32. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

They must have seriously misrepresented this in the trailers... the trailer made it look extremely predictable and very "ho-hum", and now everyone is saying it's actually one of the best movies of the year. Might have to check it out after all.

33. udoudo100

udoudo100 New Member

D48thRonin... I am obsessed with this stuff and would die to even just have the tiniest prop from it! What do you do with all the puppets after production is finished because I know there were many puppets and I have always been trying to even see one or better buy one! Also how did you get into this job because my dream job is to do something in the movie interindustry just like this!
    Thanks so much!
    I also saw the movie yesterday and wanted to say thank you for all the work you put into it so I could enjoy it!

34. D48thRonin

Many of the puppets - as well as several of the film sets, and a few of the props - have gone out on exhibit throughout the US. Everything else has gone into the Laika archives.

As a promotional tie-in before the film opened, 49 lucky individuals received mysterious crates from the Blithe Hollow Cemetery, which contained replica zombie puppets in their coffins, along with a small assortment of various screen-used props.

Here are links to some of them:

Neil Gaiman's Journal: Post-premiere thoughts. Also a grave box.

Super Punch: Here's what's inside Paranorman Box #3 (of 49)

Super Punch: There was more in the Paranorman box

Jonathan Coulton

Photo by thatkevinsmith • Instagram

Tomopop Exclusive: A new friend from ParaNorman Part 1 - TOMOPOP

Tomopop Exclusive: A new friend from ParaNorman Part 2 - TOMOPOP

Photo by feliciaday • Instagram

MAKE | The Mystery and Joys of Strange Crates in the Mail

ParaNorman Box #18/49 (NOTCOT)

Unboxing the astoundingly cool, dirt-filled ParaNorman press-box - Boing Boing

ParaNorman Mystery Box - Neatorama

Hark! A Vagrant:

knittyBlog | The undead have moved in.

SkottieYoung.com: ParaNorman ZOMBIE!

We Open A Mysterious Box, or, Paranorman Sent Us a Zombie | The Mary Sue

geek with curves: When you receive a coffin from ParaNorman in the mail...

Photo by jayzombie • Instagram

what are the haps

Well, getting into Laika was a combination of timing, luck, and knowing the right people (and having 11 years of experience in the industry in LA)

I usually strongly discourage people when they say they want to get into the industry - it's definitely not all fun and games.

Here's a bit on my background and some of my experiences, from mattmunson's "Project Workbench" Youtube webseries:

Tim Arp Interview - Part 1 - YouTube

Tim Arp Interveiw - Part II - YouTube

Tim Arp Interveiw - Part III - YouTube

35. udoudo100

udoudo100 New Member

What would be the best job in the movie interindustry that you think? I like special effects and action movies but wasn't thinking about prop building...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  36. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

I saw the trailer last night on the Hunger Games Blu-Ray and am definitely thinking about checking this one out. Looks great!

37. pitchforknumb

pitchforknumb Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Saw this movie yesterday, and I have to say it's in my top five movies of the year so far. It's not very often that there is a movie out there that my 3 year old son, and I both find entertaining. Great, great movie.

38. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

There are a slew of items over at Universal Hollywood as im told the Terminator live action show is being replaced with a Paranorman exhibit. Not sure if things have changed but not too long ago the items were not being well cared for.

39. casperdj777

casperdj777 Active Member

hands down one of the best movies ever . the props are amazing & So well done. do you know where I can find pages from the book that he used to put the witch to sleep?

40. D48thRonin

Images of some of the pages can be seen on pg. 136 of The Art and Making of ParaNorman. Other than that, I dunno what to tell you...

41. casperdj777

casperdj777 Active Member

yeah I have the book. also looking for the paranorman light they gave out or any other props . I need should hunt down one of those lucky 49 winners of the zombie & mug them for theres lol.