Papercraft + mixed media Sabre Strike Tank

g0rb

After finishing my previous Fire Raptor build, I wanted to take a quick break and build something new from scratch, applying everything I had learned so far.
To do it quickly meant no major modifications to whatever template I started with, and not reinventing the wheel.

So I started with an Eli Patoroch template for a Sabre Strike tank. This is a model released by Forge World for Warhammer 30k. I love the look of it.

I build the frame from thick chipboard, then added detail with index card, the plastic tubes from cotton swabs, some thin vinyl tubing, drinking straws, etc.
The tracks were made using the same solution I found for my Land Raider: I built a couple of master treads out of card and other bits, then made a mold and cast a bunch of them in resin.

I ended up sticking pretty close to the template, only modifying the main gun to sit on a magnetized cylinder so it can swivel up and down.
The build took me about a month. It would have taken a week or so shorter, but work came in the way. Still, mission accomplished. :)

Up first is the final primed model. I'll post some wip pics in subsequent posts.

IMAG0148.jpg
IMAG0150.jpg
IMAG0151.jpg
IMAG0152.jpg
IMAG0153.jpg
IMAG0149.jpg

The model is now all done, painted and weathered. I painted it in a Blood Raven color scheme, adding a racing stripe and a freehand raven on the sides. Tried to go for a more gothic-looking raven than the one on the Fire Raptor I did before.

Had lots of fun layering chipping and scratches, plus some oil paint for streaks and soot, and then slapped on some dust and mud for a final weathering.

IMAG0263.jpg
IMAG0265.jpg
IMAG0257.jpg
IMAG0258.jpg
IMAG0264.jpg
IMAG0256.jpg
IMAG0260.jpg
IMAG0253.jpg

That would be impressive if it were a finished commercial kit.

Having it made from random items found around the house makes it even mind-bogglingly more so, especially when I can't be pushed to try anything without going online looking for special parts.

Bravo!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back