Papercraft help

Lady Rinoa

So, i am making lightnings blazefire saber and am having some issues. i printed off the file and am gluing it around cardboard. the issue is sloped areas and parts with no backing. i have been filling with hot glue, but fear it is warping a part too much. any advice

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
How heavy is your cardstock? Adding a cardboard core also might be causing more issues for you, because it can cause the paper to flex to a different shape than the original design. I used heavy cardstock on all of my paper builds, and also a quality glue gun. The cheaper (and often small) low-temp glue guns really limit your seam strength if you try and run longer sections in one pass, multi/temp or high-temp guns give more wiggle-room.

Styrene and plastic welding could work, I guess I would be concerned with complex intersections where several pieces come together at different angles; if you accidently weld one angle a few degrees off (which would likely be hard not to ever do with pepakura) then your next connected piece might have to be flexed/trimmed/compensated to fit, if that makes sense. Just my two cents anyways, good luck with it!

Lady Rinoa

i can spot weld to eliminate the angling issue. then cut the weld and trim it down if it needs to be redone, saving the final weld for after its aligned perfectly. as for card stock, i dont know. cant find the wrap.

Lady Rinoa

I ran into a perfect example. This has an edge to it for the sharp blade. Should i cut flush with the edges of the paper and create the sharp edge with posterboard and glue, or oversize that edge and shave it dow yo creat the sharpened edge. In the image it is the bottom most edge ot the paper im talking about

Attachments

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Do your templates have flaps (so flaps turned on) in Pepakura for printing?

rbeach84

Sr Member
Guess I'm no help. I've never used a hot glue gun, only PVA and CA for paper crafting. Big lessons I've learned are:
Paper is very challenging
Paper requires extreme precision
Get a whetstone and keep the blades sharp
Regards, Robert