paper mache drying times...will a heat gun speed it up?

Meathead316

hi

i want to paper mache something, only i dont wanna wait a few days for it to dry, can i speed up the drying time froma few days to a matter of minutes with a heat gun? obviously i would be doing it a layer at a time eg.

-cover model in pva(white glue)/water solution
-cover with 1 layer of news paper
-recoat in pva/water solution
-heat gun until dry

will that work?

I might try a blowdryer first, the heat gun might yellow or brown the papermache, not to mention the model underneath might melt if too much heat is building up. Besides, papermache hold itself together by bonding, as glue does, with less glue the bonding should set at a regular rate, being that the glue is diluted anyway. Sad to say, paper mache is not one of the best mediums to work with for expedience.

For best results leave it outside in the sunlight, on a nice hot day.

Re: paper mache drying times...will a heat gun spe

a heat gun can work but on a very low heat otherwise the pva will bubble. or you could leave it in a warm place like an airing cuboard

I might try a blowdryer first, the heat gun might yellow or brown the papermache, not to mention the model underneath might melt if too much heat is building up. Besides, papermache hold itself together by bonding, as glue does, with less glue the bonding should set at a regular rate, being that the glue is diluted anyway. Sad to say, paper mache is not one of the best mediums to work with for expedience.

For best results leave it outside in the sunlight, on a nice hot day.

I wouldn't use a blow dryer, because that will cause the newspaper to draw up, and that will mess up the smooth finish. I would just leave it out in the sunlight.

I'm sure his paper mache whatever is dry since it has been over a year since he asked the question.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back