Paper Mache and Resin - will it work?

raiskream

hi, all.

I'm interested in making armor from paper mache and resin. Similar to the pepakura process, I guess. Has anyone does this? Will it work? My concern would be keeping shape with paper mache but if I have a base to work with, it should be fine.

Edit: i am thinking bondo body filler may be a better option than resin?

Last edited:

gothic

Sr Member
be aware resin can be fragile in thin coats and weigh a ton with loads of coats im pretty sure people that do it use fibreglass matt to strengthen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9zVwjezBQ

I have worked ith fibreglass resin with the matting it can be messy lots of fumes so do it outside or in an open garage the fumes hang around on the finished piece for a while also

Uridium

Would bondo body filler be a better option?
Bondo takes a bit of force to apply, so I imagine your paper-mache armor will be too fragile to apply Bondo.

Paper Mache is likely to be a little more sturdy than a normal pep build, so I would really treat them the same.
Apply some resin to give it some stiffness
Apply some fiberglass matting/cloth to the inside (using resin) to make it strong.
Apply Bondo to the surface and Sand Sand Sand... to give it shape and smooth finish.

However a full set of armor is going to be fairly heavy like this. I believe most people make a mold from the above finished piece and cast the final piece.
(I am a helmets guy and don't have the experience/space to do casting, so I usually stick to Pep-Resin-Fiber-Bondo)

- - - Updated - - -

This is a thread I usually link people to, it is an amazing tutorial in the whole pep process.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=255611

raiskream

Bondo takes a bit of force to apply, so I imagine your paper-mache armor will be too fragile to apply Bondo.

Paper Mache is likely to be a little more sturdy than a normal pep build, so I would really treat them the same.
Apply some resin to give it some stiffness
Apply some fiberglass matting/cloth to the inside (using resin) to make it strong.
Apply Bondo to the surface and Sand Sand Sand... to give it shape and smooth finish.

However a full set of armor is going to be fairly heavy like this. I believe most people make a mold from the above finished piece and cast the final piece.
(I am a helmets guy and don't have the experience/space to do casting, so I usually stick to Pep-Resin-Fiber-Bondo)

- - - Updated - - -

This is a thread I usually link people to, it is an amazing tutorial in the whole pep process.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=255611
This is very helpful; thank you!!

mdb

Sr Member
Resin is not what gives fibreglass strength it is the "glass" aspect. The material the resin soaks into determines the weight and strength.

Epoxy resin is really superior to any other resin, and it is a whole system. You can have strong chemical bonds within the fibreglass and to the paint and to the finish. In fact you can create your own filler and gel coats. It makes for a very durable and light product when used properly.

http://www.christinedemerchant.com/carbon-kevlar-glass-comparison.html
This is a pretty easy to read rundown :)

You could possibly use mache as a buck/positive mold. It is possible to sculpt with epoxy and filler (microballoons tend to set it up really fast but is easier to manipulate than cabosil.) With safety gear! And then be trimmed after.

The only problem with it is lots of people are sensitive to the stuff, I'm one, and once you have one it will only get worse with repeat exposure.

Militicus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have done a lot of pep. I have found that i like to do 3-4 thin coats of resin (2 inside 2 out) with a glass layer on the inside ONLY. working with fibglass on the outside of anything screws everything up. But, to answer your original question, i cant think of any reason why paper mache and resin wot work together.

raiskream

Resin is not what gives fibreglass strength it is the "glass" aspect. The material the resin soaks into determines the weight and strength.

Epoxy resin is really superior to any other resin, and it is a whole system. You can have strong chemical bonds within the fibreglass and to the paint and to the finish. In fact you can create your own filler and gel coats. It makes for a very durable and light product when used properly.

http://www.christinedemerchant.com/carbon-kevlar-glass-comparison.html
This is a pretty easy to read rundown :)

You could possibly use mache as a buck/positive mold. It is possible to sculpt with epoxy and filler (microballoons tend to set it up really fast but is easier to manipulate than cabosil.) With safety gear! And then be trimmed after.

The only problem with it is lots of people are sensitive to the stuff, I'm one, and once you have one it will only get worse with repeat exposure.
Thanks so much! This is very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I've decided to just use the regular old pepakura method of fiberglass on inside and Bondo filler on outside, but rather than pepakura and resin, I'm going to use paper mache with a coat of resin. Thanks all!