Paints for lycra-spandex

Akisha

Hey all, I decided to take a turn into some uncharted territory. I decided to take on cosplaying Neytiri. (I dont know what I am really getting myself into) but anyways, as we all know, we hate it when paint chips and cracks and fall apart and does not work. Well I am getting a blue lycra-spandex body suit and I need a paint that wont chip, fray off, etc when I am wearing it. Cause we all know the Na'vi arent one solid color. Now I wont be coloring the whole thing, I just need enough paint to make the darker blue 'stripes'. What kind of paint would you guys recommend for this material, that is flexible enough it will stay on? I heard Acrylic works, but I want to hear your guys' oppinions and suggestions before I go run off buying stuff =P

Thanks!!!! :D

Kish Kish

Createx airbrush fabricpaint. Its thin enough that you don't have to water it down.

After its dried you can turn it inside out, stuff with cloths and iron on it to set the color. Then it can be washed :D

I did both my Pred skins that way.

---
Ei'luj

you can "heat set it" by throwing it in the dryer too for 10 min's or so or a hairdryer!!! I use these paints exclusivly....even on latex skins and masks(for details)....permawet after ofcourse on latex.

Fabric paint all the way. Sounds like it would be too simple a choice to actually work. Hell you can get it at Wal Mart so you figure it wouldn't serve the purposes of costuming. But I used it to do the red stripes on my Captain America costume and have had no problems at all. I think the key is to have it streched out when you paint it. I just did it on a big cardboard cut out I made tracing a loose fitting t-shirt.
I'm also using fabric paint for my lycra/nylon body suit I'm using for my pred suit. I've put the thing on and off several times and have had no cracking or pealing.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back