Paints for Bandai kits ?

division 6

Master Member
Since I now have a couple Bandai kits I thought before I dive in I should ask about paints.

In one of the threads I read that you should not use lacquer, enamel or oil paints on the kits since it causes the plastic to craze and fall apart.
So since this is the case what would be advised for priming and painting.

Can Tamiya paints be used even though they are an acrylic lacquer?
Or is there some other brand that would be better?
Preferable something easy to get in the US.

Also can you use glues like Tenex-7, Same Stuff (Micro Mark) and M.E.K.?
What about Bondo spot putty?

I have been using Tamiya acrylics, Tamiya acrylics thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner, and Tamiya lacquers in rattle cans on Bandai plastics without a problem. I think the potential for damage comes when you basically soak the plastic in a thinner, like if you were doing an oil wash.

I've used duplicolor lacquer primer on several Bandai Star Wars kits, it works just fine. Their plastic is the same as anyone else's...

That is why I thought I should ask.
Better for everyone picking up these kits to get an idea of what to expect and plan for it.

My Lando Falcon is mostly assembled now but the paint work needs to be done before final assembly.

I use Vallejo and Army Painter paints on all my Bandai kits and they work great. The Vallejo Model Color paints are the best to use especially when hand brushing as they don't leave streaks marks.

The enamel paints are not the problem. It's the Thinner that causes it to go all weird.
As a general rule I would stay way from strong mineral spirits or turpentine.
I think you should be OK as long as you put a good lacquer coat on before you start weathering.
You can always stay on the safe side and weathering and do line washes with chalks.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back