Painting vinyl shoes help

Breaker1Crazy

I'm painting a pair of vinyl sneakers for a RWBY Sun Wukong Cosplay I'm doing. After going through forums I heard Angelus acrylic leather paint works best but first I needed to rub some acetone on the shoes to remove the coating on the shoes. Here's my question

Every other build or tutorial I've seen shows people only needing 3-5 coats of paint to cover up the shoes and have them look professional, like in this rpf post here: Shoe recoloring tutorial.
But I'm 9 coats in and you can still see the original shoe color and the brush marks are still very apparent. I think it's because my layers are so thin but if I try to leave more paint behind then I get HUGE brush strokes in it.

Any tips on how to get the paint to cover the shoes better?
PHOTO_20190127_094033.jpg
PHOTO_20190127_094046.jpg

Yellow is THE HARDEST color to paint, especially over a dark color.
You would always want a white or orange base to start with.

Instead of hand brushing you should have used rattle can like NU-LIFE or an air brush for a smooth coat.

I just used ordinary acrylic paint (the sort for art painting) by Liquitex and it worked great on my vinyl boots. It has adhered very well through several ComicCons.

But it's true I have no experience with bright yellow Liquitex.

Yellow is THE HARDEST color to paint, especially over a dark color.
You would always want a white or orange base to start with.

Instead of hand brushing you should have used rattle can like NU-LIFE or an air brush for a smooth coat.

I agree, I've always found yellow paints to be to particularly thin, at least in acrylic form.

A white base should be applied before yellow. Multiple coats of yellow should be laid down with an airbrush for consistency in saturation.
I don't use a lot of yellow specifically for that reason.

With what you've already got, though, buff it out with some 400 Grit sandpaper and apply another coat of yellow. Repeat until you've got the look that you want. The sand paper should knock down the brush strokes and even everything out. The multiple coats should give you the saturation.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back