Painting thin lines

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I need to paint some thin black lines on a prop (approx 1mm). It's a small area with plenty of curves, so masking isn't really an option.

I'm afraid I don't have a steady enough hand to do this accurateley with a fine brush. Does anyone know if there is any sort of indelible marker that would be suitable to do this?

I need to be able to scribe the lines on top of enamel paint.

You might want to try using a "PIGMA Micron" pen. You can find them at any arts & crafts stores, such as Michael's. They are water proof and fade proof. I use to use these pens on model aircraft for the panel lines.

Hope this helps :)

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ May 16 2006, 08:53 PM) [snapback]1245272[/snapback]</div>
I need to paint some thin black lines on a prop (approx 1mm). It's a small area with plenty of curves, so masking isn't really an option.

[/b]

Would you be painting the 'decal areas' on a stormtrooper helmet by any chance? I had a similar problem painting these areas on a trooper helmet I assembled a couple of years back, so I painted the black line around the (in this case, ear cover rectangles), and *then* 'filled in' the area with grey paint, and painted right up to the rough black line, which allowed me to overpaint much of the black with a smooth brushstroke of grey... leaving a fine black line behind...
Incredibly difficult to explain, but hopefully you know what I mean.

Otherwise you can get some black paint-markers... shake 'em and they rattle like a spray-can, then use 'em like a marker and the paint should have the same colour, lifespan etc. as 'real' paint.... as opposed to ink from a traditional marker pen.

HTH,
John

I guess I didn't make myself very clear. These lines comprise an artistic design on a alien artifact, not a regimented military look. They are mostly curves following the the irregular shape of the artifact.

[attachmentid=8081]

Since it looks like all the lines are etched in, I would second the micron pens suggestion. These are used for drafting and you can find them in several sizes (I am pretty sure they come in <1mm sizes).

Or, if you have a good hobby store near you, find the best looking mini lead model in the display case, find out who did it, and then see if there's a way you could contact them, and for a nominal fee see if they would be willing to help you out.

Hi, Do you you need to have black lines where the engraved lines are ?..then a wash of black would do it.
Games workshop black acrylic paint is good for this.
If the finish on your prop is glossy...it looks glossy on your pic, then apply a thinned down coat of the black paint into the engraving , wait a half minute or so, then wipe off any access with a cloth or kitchen paper and you should be left with the black in the engraving. If it removes any paint from the lines themselves, just re-apply. Just a bit of practice will do it.
This paint can be thinned with just plain water, just alittle bit though, you don't want the paint to be too watery.
I use this for panel lines on aircraft kits, can be used to accent anything with engraved lines tho..

Hope it helps

Cheers

Phil

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back