Painting question, specifically flat clear coating

sycor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a wood box that I spray painted with a Satin Black enamel paint. I wasn't happy with the shininess of the box so I coated it with a Flat clear coat. Well, it looks like a coating of haziness that wipes off a little when dried and a little more when lightly sanded. But now the box is more of a washed out almost grey color or almost frosted black instead of the deep black that it was before being coated. Is this normal?

Yes flat clears are loaded with talc, unless you use a 2k clear you will get that frosted look.

I have a wood box that I spray painted with a Satin Black enamel paint. I wasn't happy with the shininess of the box so I coated it with a Flat clear coat. Well, it looks like a coating of haziness that wipes off a little when dried and a little more when lightly sanded. But now the box is more of a washed out almost grey color or almost frosted black instead of the deep black that it was before being coated. Is this normal?

Talc? That explains it. Is there something else I can use that won't give that frosted look?

Talc? That explains it. Is there something else I can use that won't give that frosted look?

If you want a satin or flat black finish try "grill paint", the paint used for painting an outdoor grill. It doesn't need a primer and it is heat resistant and tough. I've been using on display stands and it works out nicely. I've been using the krylon brand I found it at Walmart. I'm sure there are other brands, just haven't used any others yet.

If you want a satin or flat black finish try "grill paint", the paint used for painting an outdoor grill. It doesn't need a primer and it is heat resistant and tough. I've been using on display stands and it works out nicely. I've been using the krylon brand I found it at Walmart. I'm sure there are other brands, just haven't used any others yet.

The satin I used was too shiney, and looking at my grill, I think the grill paint would be too shiney. :unsure

It also sounds a bit like something I used to get now & then when I painted cars for a living using cellulose paint bitd, we called it "blooming" looks as if you huffed on the surface with a big breath but doesnt disappear after a few seconds. That was usually caused by moisture & temperature issues & could be removed by polishing which is of no use to you if you want a flat finnish. As said 2k paints & clear coats are superior paints.

I've never been wronged by Testor's Dullcote on the important stuff. It has talc but the dispersion is good and it won't look frosted.

You want to see some nasty blooming. This is why my EFNY pistol has been sitting in simple green since yesterday. Was it something like this?

IMG_5339.jpg

This was a pure "bad paint" thing though I think. I should never have used 2 year old Krylon paint that had been out in the sun.

Between brands of paint, the flat and satin can jump all over the place... One brands flat might be shinier then the next companies satin, you just never know until you test...

And I will add my support for 2K paints, a hassle as you need to actually use real sprayers, and deal with mixing and short work times, but they are vastly superior paints...

I'm a little out of date these days but I'm sure you can still buy 2k laquer (gloss though) in 1/4 ltr tins, You'd need a hardener & a matting agent & if thinned correctly it can be used with an air brush.
You'd have to check with the supplier for mix ratio's with the matting agent as iirc it can vary between manufacturers.
But as I say I'm a little rusty these days :$ So I'm probably a bit out of touch.

I recently spoke with an auto paint supplier about different types of clear coats. She was telling me about a matte clear coat they had for $40 (i think for a pint). It did require spray gun application. I think all their paints were Dupont.

Is this the same or similar to the 2k clear paint that you guys are speaking of?

2K paints are paints that require a hardener or activator. 2 component. ;)

Yep & the mix ratio for hardener is usually between 2:1 & 5:1, you can also get an aditive to speed up the curing process, the brand we used was called rocket but if your not carefull it can start to go off in the gun.

Edit, Sorry just flexing my memory :$ I havent painted a car in about 6 years.

Last edited:
Yeah a two part paint isn't really in my scope right now. :lol I'll try an Ultra Flat black next time.

Look at satin bumper black in a rattle can available at most auto parts stores and the like. Its a very deep black that doesnt prism like ultra flat black will. For ran idea of how black it is, look at the rear bumper of my old Honda Element I had used it on. The shine is from the wax.

2n8mxqb.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back