Painting Options

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Neil Mehta

Hey guys,

I will be receiving my Giger alien Kit from monsterroom soon and I need some help and tips. I am gonna have to color the parts as they will be sewn to the spandax suit. As far as coloring the dome and the parts, is it better to use the Createx airbrush paints with the airbrush machine or just regular paint brush. Please advise as this will be my first time doing the Alien and I really want to give it a nice look as far as the color combination goes with the shine.

Thanks a lot in advance

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

panik33

for the latex parts a frind of mine used plastidip spray paints dunno if you can get them over in the U.S i expect so they are a flexable spray paint which comes in a veriety of colous including black which is very usefull when it comes to aliens

Neil Mehta

Panik, I don't know man but I am not a big fan of Plasti-dip. I used it last year for my dreads and was extremely diasppointed. Now, I don't know if it's the same as you are talking about because it was just a spray can that i used. I just started to break after few hours and i had to redo the whole thing again. What do you think about the option of Createx airbrush paints???? Have you ever used it or someone you know who has used it. And whats the best way to paint............................Airbrush machine or Regular brush. i know i might sound someone who doesn't know anything but it's my first time doing this. I seriously appreciate the feedback man.

Neil

xdmray

wrong section. this needs to be in How to Build a Predator costume.

this section is for videos.

sorry i have no other advice for you though...... B)

panik33

i havent used the createx paints what type are they .. oil , water ,acrylic ?

i would say using an airbrush for painting is best as you can get much subtler tones and light sprays of colour whereas brushes are much heavier
altough ive seen people use the drybrushing technique to get some nice colours onto the ridges

actually xdmray wouldnt it be better in huntorials and help wherever that ended up or is that how to build a predator? ( which insidentaly is a really bad name because there are tutorials on how to build loads of other stuff in there )

Neil Mehta

Thanks guys. I will jump on that section. I was just a little confused after they re-arranged the main board. It's weird now. lol. Thanks again

bendrago

Actually plasti-dip works really well with latex costumes, I have used it on my batman costume and have had absolutely no problems with it ... and yes I used spray can ...
No cracking, no peeling, no nothing in the last two years, surface still looks good as new and has a nice sheen to it pic here

If you paint the costume with straight createx in all probability the paint will crack and peel once the costume moves and flexes, for painting an alien costume I would personally
mix 25% acrylic paint, 25% liquid latex and 50% purified water and run that thru airbrush.

The other way to paint latex would be layering glue (pros-aide or aquafix) and airbrush paints and then sealing with permawet or similar substance.

There are many many topics about painting latex costumes in this forum, I would suggest you give them a read

Neil Mehta

Thanks bendrago. I think I might go for the 2nd or 3rd option that you gave. Plasti-dip still scares me lol

Thanks again

troggs

I've just painted my first latex skin using the layering method, I felt happy using this method, as I've never used an airbrush before, it meant I was only putting paint through the airbrush, not latex or pros aide.

Cathat

Hey guys,

I will be receiving my Giger alien Kit from monsterroom soon and I need some help and tips. I am gonna have to color the parts as they will be sewn to the spandax suit. As far as coloring the dome and the parts, is it better to use the Createx airbrush paints with the airbrush machine or just regular paint brush. Please advise as this will be my first time doing the Alien and I really want to give it a nice look as far as the color combination goes with the shine.

Thanks a lot in advance

By 'regular" paints I suppose you mean standard acrylic watered down? I'd stick with the airbrush paints -gets some creatiex 'bond all' additive too -

I've done more than my fair shrare of painted fabric with an airbrush - only goto a regular brush and or regular paint for small details.

Effects Guy

Hands down, the best paint for painting latex is rubber cement paint. No other paint actually bites into the latex and surgically bonds to it. You won't be able to remove it with sand paper. Paint made from thinned latex and start to ball up and generally has a fairly weak bond. Prosaide and inks or PAX is alright but you need to powder it or seal it with a matte or gloss medium.

Fast Freddie

Noob here: Is the mixture of the rubber cement, thinned with mineral spirits or VM&P NAPTHA..(I don't know which is better?) and OIL Paint, as violent a combo of vapors as I've read? I want to paint a great costume for my friend and I don't want the paint rubbing off or cracking any. I tried priming it with Krylon H2O latex paint and then painted on top of that with some Createx and even some other paints(Citadel, Badger Freak Flex, Faskolor) but it all still cracked when the suit was bent.

Fast Freddie

Oh, I guess it didn't help that I sealed it with Lacquer gloss (Rustoleum High Lustre Coating). I mean, it looked beautiful until I bent the gloves and it cracked liked crazy!

Effects Guy

I have said it before and I will say it again, if you are painting latex, rubber cement paints will bond better than anything else, they will last you til the end of time. And, they require no sealer.