Painting my Predator head.

Dieabolic

Finally got a start on painting the head thats been on my table for a few weeks now. Currently referring to him as the stone Predator due to his black and grey paint scheme. I am looking forward to all comments, good and bad as they will only help me to paint the best Predator I can.

Hers some pics of the progress so far:

Base Coat:
003-1.jpg

Face:
006.jpg

Upper Detail:
009.jpg

Back:
010.jpg

Thanks again for any and all comments.
Mike

003-1.jpg

006.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Grrrr, he's a grumpy looking bugger aint he :rolleyes:
Like the start with the darker colours.
What other colours will you be using, the normal tans or something different?
Look forward to more updates :D

I do like the gray. How many quills are you going to use? It does look like there are already holes for them. Looking forward for the next update!

Still debating on the other colors, was thinking about tinting a flesh color with some gray or possibly tinting brown with grey and see what that does. Will try to do a little more painting tomorrow.

Ok guys, advice time. Here is a pic of the head in its current state. What I need advice/opinions on is this. Should I try to mute the black at the top of the head more by adding more grey, or would I be better off repainting the top white, then grey and then redoing the spots in black (most but not all of them). In these pics the teeth are in temporary positions, except the small teeth in the mouth, they have been glued in. Also, how do you guys paint your teeth to get the best aged effect. Any and all advice is welcome.
Mike

overall.jpg

teethmouth.jpg

overall.jpg

teethmouth.jpg

hey buddy, first i wanted to say i really dig the extra long bottom tusks on there :eek: but as far as the top of the head, it really just depends on what you're going for, as far as being a "stone pred" i think it'd be cool to put some intricate greys and maybe whites within the black that is currently there, but you'd almost have to try and see before deciding i suppose, you can always paint over it that part of the suit doesn't flex too much i wouldn't imagine :(

as far as the aging of the tusks do you plan to carve on them at all? either way a good way to get an effect is basically paint the whole tusk, and while the paint is still wet, lightly wipe away the paint gradually as you get to the end and the paint will be distributed into the fine grooves of the tusk while the outer smooth surface is clean, you gotta wipe the excess paint away quickly after you apply it, but you can really repeat this process on individual spots until you have the desired effect, then add a nice thick gloss with a tiny bit of a yellowish-brown in it. thats what i would do anyway... i hope any of this helped a little, i hope the technique is not too offensively amateur, in other words, sorry if you already knew that :( cant wait to see it finished bro!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back