Painting latex

I use acyrillic paint, and either handpaint it or airbrush it, but if this is for your neckseal I was able to get your's a darker red. I'll be sending that out for you on Monday as well.

Ah cool. Well thanks for being able to make it darker. I will keep this thread open as it will also help for future builds.

I use acyrillic paint, and either handpaint it or airbrush it, but if this is for your neckseal I was able to get your's a darker red. I'll be sending that out for you on Monday as well.

Hey, i was just curious if you mix anything with the acyrillic? How well does it flex? I was recently told that i should mix in 10% of contact cement, idk if youv'e tried that.
Thanks

Sounds good, i'll try it next time i have to paint. I have used the pros-aid technique, however, it leaves the piece sticky and when you seal it (if using a powder, even translucent) it dulls the colors down a bit. I haven't tried crystal clear because im not sure how much it will flex.

You need to add some flex agent or it will crack. I've done a fair bit of latex painting. I just add a little liquid latex to the paint. Doesn't take much. Thin some latex with windex til it's milky, then add some to your colors.

Also if you wipe the latex down with a cloth with lemon juice, the acids will slightly reactive the latex so you get better paint adhesion. Not alot of juice, just a barely damp rag..

You need to add some flex agent or it will crack. I've done a fair bit of latex painting. I just add a little liquid latex to the paint. Doesn't take much. Thin some latex with windex til it's milky, then add some to your colors.

Are you using acryllic paint with the liquid latex? Have you ever just used pigments rather than the paint and latex?

best type of paint for latex and something we widely use for this purpose in the f.x. industry is rubber cement paint and unversal tint or oil paint (niversal tints are the kind they mix into paint base at large d.i.y. stores) basically what you do is to mix about a 40 % colour to 60% rubber cement mix well the dilute with naptha / low odour white spirit or lighter fuel are the same as naptha. what happens is this actually embeds itself in the latex making a permanent flexible colourant. if you try pros aide try pros aide no- tack it wont be sticky. with pros aide i lay down a base colour of 50 / 50 acrylic paint and pros aide. then just airbrush or paint with f.w. inks diluted with iso alcohol. this bonds well, flexes well and isnt tacky.

Are you using acryllic paint with the liquid latex? Have you ever just used pigments rather than the paint and latex?

Yeah that's using acrylics with the latex. Any time I've tried without the latex, it still holds to the piece but when you move the piece you can see the cracking in the paint.

I'm about to buy a prosthetic mermaid tail that is a good start on the color I want but I want to add a lot more detail. This is a swimmable tail made from latex coated neoprene. Just starting to poke around online to get recommendations for painting methods and found this thread. Any thoughts on how rubber cement paint or latex mask paint might hold up to water?
$(KGrHqRHJCYE+fUlDmEIBQ,KC5rEew~~60_12.JPG

Yes I will swim in my tail (either the one pictured in my last post or one I build entirely myself). There is a professional grade monofin in the tail and the neoprene sleeve keeps the 'body' on. Don't worry, I used to be a swim instructor and I'll have company when I try it out the first time just in case.

I'm seeing at least one tail maker that seems to use a clear version of dragonskin fx latex to coat the neoprene that has been painted with the fish patterns. Haven't found the clear latex yet. I'd really rather build my tail entirely myself as I am a professional seamstress and more than up to the task of painting the fish pattern I want but it's pricey!

Hi, very long time later I also have an question about working with liquid latex. I will also use acrylic & liquid latex for airbrush but I have concern about cleaning airbrush, because liquid latex will get dry very fast inside of nozzle and I dont know how I will clean airbrush asap, have an idea or experience about it?

Dragonskin is a silicone, that may be why you are having trouble finding it?

I've been test driving Resolene on latex and it seems to be working. it's dry on the surface and it very liquid so good for airbrushing. Just seeing longevity. It's acrylic based so shouldn't be an issue.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back