Painting Fine Details

blaise00

I'm new here and have so far found the information on this site invaluable. I'm on the tail end of my Mr I project and have a design with sharp angles that I'd like to paint on my costume in a contrasting color(white over black). At first I thought I could use painters tape (masking tape) in the design I want, and then paint a layer of the contrasting white latex in that section, but I ran into some issues.

When i tried that plan on a test piece, the tape didnt want to peel off the latex without a fight, and because the tape stuck so hard to the latex, when i was trying to peel it off before the new color dried over it, it smeared it all over the place.

Then I tried letting it dry over the tape and peeling it off like trim work on the wall of a house, but the latex and the tape wouldnt peel following the tape lines. The tape just tore to little pieces wherever there was no latex over it. I have to be doing this wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

are you airbrushing? if so you can try using a flat edge that you just hold over the piece.

i tried to find a youtube vid, but couldnt find the exact technique.
you just hold the stencil (envelope, cardstock, anything straight) over the area then airbrush right along the straight edge. move it around to make your design.

Moved the topic to the correct section, as it is more of a question than progress on a skin part.

As D has said above, you could use a edge, just held against the latex, but i guess it would depend how much detail and texture there is, you could get the sharp line by doing that and spraying from the edge to the latex at a slight angle, to make sure none goes under the line you are using for a edge, it depends also on the design.

personally i would say just practise with your airbrush, if it is black with white, you can easily touch up any mistakes with the black after.

good luck.

Thanks guys. I should have been more specific on what I was doing. I was actually using small foam brushes not an airbrush. I was planning on taping the negative of the design and brushing the white over it. then peeling off the tape to reveal the finished design...but the tape doesnt want to co-operate with me. I'm not very good at airbrushing (i get it pretty much everywhere). I guess I could always touch up any error with the black.

If I went the way of the Sharpie, could I use a fine bristle brush to hand paint it...or will I be pulling hairs/fibers out of the latex?

Any recommendations on the type of brush...and will I be able to clean it, or will i need to buy a bunch to pitch when done?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back