Painting Fiberglass over latex???

detale78

Hi I am sorry if this has been asked before but was wondering if fiberglass can be painted over latex in order to harden it?? Or is there any other method of doing this??? My piece is painted and i want sort of a clear shell to cover the painted latex and make it hard. I was also thinking about possibly using clear resin and painting it on. Will this work? Or will the latex get destroyed in the process?? Any help??

Hi I am sorry if this has been asked before but was wondering if fiberglass can be painted over latex in order to harden it?? Or is there any other method of doing this??? My piece is painted and i want sort of a clear shell to cover the painted latex and make it hard. I was also thinking about possibly using clear resin and painting it on. Will this work? Or will the latex get destroyed in the process?? Any help??
I don't think i would go the clear resin route. I wouldn't trust "brushing" anything on it....i would want to "spray" something on. I would suggest Krylon clear acrilic. I will be really shiny when your done though , and unless the mask is foam filled it will probably crack if the mask is manipulated in anyway. But you will get a clear hardened coat. If you dont like the shiny part you can get a "matte" clear also. But i would definately spry whatever it is you decide on. hope this helps alittle.

In case anyone was wondering after experimenting with different methods found that painting clear 2 part epoxy resin hardend the latex without harming it. Happy with the result.

Yeah, pics would be great. I want to do the same sort of thing. Did you use the fibreglass resin or a clear casting tpye?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back