Painting dreads in an elder style

4505marcel

Hi guys, quick question about painting dreads to look more like an elder. What is the best way to go about this?

Do you paint the dreads and then slide on the beads or will it scratch off the paint as the beads are slid up?

I was thinking about maybe just painting the tips of the dreads to look like an older pred but not quite an elder if you catch my drift, Im using Bambooie dreads if it makes any difference.

Before painting Bambooie dreds do they need wash to remove any release agent or does this not apply to dreds? And also whats the best type of paint to use?

Cheers

i didnt wash them and had no problem getting paint to stick on them. used createx on the dreads. i shot paint on them 2 to 3 times because the dread absorbed the color a bit. hope this helps

I used FW inks I mixed black white and blue togehter till I got a greyish blue color I liked. And then just misted it on in a random pattern while rotaiting them as I sprayed from top to bottom. I believe if you go in the works in progress section theres a thread by me garos suit work in progress. Theres some pics of the finished mask in there. I painted them before installing them then slide the beads on. You can ask garo Julian how they held up as far as removing beads. I have one here that I experimented on and it still seems fine and the inks are holding up.

Cool thanks mate, just what I needed to know, are FW inks acrylic or what type as Ive got to try and source similar here in the UK

and we have FWinks in the Uk, i use them all the time, i tihnk they are 4.75 in colemans, i have a local art shop that sells me them for 4.50 and i tihnk they are cheaper online

yup you can get them in most art shops, there really great paints to use, thin with isopropyl alchohol as they are quite concentrated, a little goes a long way

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back