Painting a rubber prop - Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by starbuc, Nov 27, 2011.

1. starbuc

starbuc Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So I got this really cool rubber First Contact Phaser rifle prop and I am really thinking of painting it. So my question is, does anyone know if I should take any special preparations before I paint the rubber surface? What about primer. Should I use the special primer that is made for plastic or just go with automotive primer?
    If I decide to paint it, I want to make sure it turns out perfect, or as close to perfect as possible.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

Terry

2. Ronan87

Ronan87 Sr Member

Your avatar... Garibaldi from Babylon 5? Wow haven't seen that in YEARS! *Blast of memories*

What kind of rubber is it? Make sure to wash it and dry it GOOD before attempting anything.

3. starbuc

starbuc Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not sure what kind of rubber it is to be honest. This is a made for production rubber stunt rifle that was never used, so it was never painted. I know it was designed to be painted, just don't know if I should take any precautions before I do.
    But I will give it a good bath in warm water with a small amount of dishwashing liquid before I do any thing else.
    Thanks for the advice.

Terry

4. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

Dont wash it with dish soap or water, use alcohol on a rag and just wipe it down. Doesnt have to be a bath, just a damp rag. DBU and rattle can paints will be ok but dont cake the paint on.