Painting a PVC saber - what's best to use?

toasterstrudels

Was wondering what paint would be the best to paint a PVC saber to give it a somewhat "metal" look? I haven't found one yet that I'm 100% satisfied with. Just wondering what everybody else uses. Thanks.

PVC doesn't like solvent based paints. Go with an acrylic paint (water based) and it won't turn the surface of your PVC to chewing gum.

Dave :)

If it fits the part without showing any edges, metal tape is superior to any paint.
Just make sure it sticks well. You might need to brush additional glue on the surface first.

Most everything I do PVC gets painted in Krylon Fusion satin black as a base coat. If I do a metalic-looking item, I'll then lightly use some aluminum colored paint (after at least a week for the Fusion to cure).

Hi.
Although it's a bit messy and might need to be touched up from time to time, rub-n-buff works great. It's a paste that you smear onto the surface and rub around (I use my finger) to create friction. It has a really convincing metallic sheen to it when finished.
I'm not sure how well it would hold up to being handled a lot though.

Corbin Das

Corbin@CorbinsComponents.com

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back