painting a mask

aidenmoore

before i buy a mask and go through the process of painting it i was just wondering (through peoples experience) can you brush paint on the mask or is a better finish achieved with an air brush. Is spending the money on getting airbrush gear justified by the finish?

and if so can people point me in the direction of some good starter gear in the UK

cheers

Opinions will probably vary on this, but I've done just about all of my mask painting with an airbrush. While painting the spots on my mask, though, I came to the conclusion that I wanted harder edges on the spots, so I used a brush for them. An airbrush is really good for doing shading and subtle changes in color, but for a defined edge, you'll want a brush.

I don't know where you can find airbrushes in the UK, though. Art supply stores and craft stores on this side of the Atlantic usually carry airbrushes, but I have no clue what you've got over there.

You can get sharp defined lines and edges with a airbrush.

it just takes control, that way you do not get SPIDER runs, which usually occur when your rush or have little control.

Ebay is your friend for some nice cheap airbrush packages, that way you have not spent a fortune if you decide you do not like airbrushing.

it's all about skill level with a brush or airbrush. i have seen amazing paint ups with both and have seen not so amazing paintups with either.

cheers for the quick replies guys

just searching ebay and have come across 2 types of "starter kits" one with an actual air compressor and the other with just an aerosol propellant. will the cheaper aerosol still do a good job?

cheers

In a word no.

the can of air will probably run out of air before you finish , also a compressor will enable you to use different psi's and will give you a constant air flow.

cheers for the quick replies guys

just searching ebay and have come across 2 types of "starter kits" one with an actual air compressor and the other with just an aerosol propellant. will the cheaper aerosol still do a good job?

cheers
I started with an airbrush and those aerosol propellant cans. (They're kind of like air dusters for computer components.) They'll work, but you'll have to keep buying more cans until you get your mask fully painted. If you're on a budget, though, you can use the aerosol and get your mask painted. They probably won't destroy the ozone layer any more, either.

I just spent a good amount of time trying to find a decent airbrush on ebay, i ended up buying one of these

airbrush

thought it seemed pretty cool for the money

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back