PAINTED STUDIO SCALE TIE PROGRESS NEW PICS

jvasilatos

Sr Member
I finally decided on a color scheme for the mystery part of the TIE Cockpit interior since I don't think there were any on the practical set in the film. All I have left to do now is trim the light sheet panels into the triangle light panels to be added against the rear wall as seen in the film. I burned out the power supply for the light sheet as I was trying to wire the electronics to power up with the LED engine lights as well as one engine light... ARGHHH... I had to tear out one LED from the engine nozzle enclosure to replace it. Lesson learned... figure out the electronics hookup with seperate lights so if it works, when you copy it to the model light setup you don't risk burning out hard to get to lights already installed.

TIE_PILOT.jpg

You can see at the bottom of the next set of pictures how the cockpit will look next to a movie screencap of the cockpit and where the red panel lights will go. The side panels are just temporarily in place for these pictures, and when everything is finalized I am going to add hoses and other details to the inside before closing it up. I am also going to add those round ended cylinders that show in the screencaps protruding down from the front window frame into the shot on each side of the pilot. I also thought it would be neat to camouflage the electronics wiring with springs that look like hoses to also detail the inside. The battery power supply will go behind the cockpit since I had to replace the on-off swith with a parallel switch to accomodate the wiring setup. AND if it's possible, I may add a little piece of light sheet to that display triangle in the front window so it reflects light onto the front of the pilot.

Then the only other thing left will be the wings when I get the large styrene panels to sandwich between the black mesh wire panels and wing frames.

I know that the "hero" screen models did not have any clear plastic in the window frames, but since this is supposed to be an idealized display model with the inclusion of the custom cockpit, I added clear plastic to the front window frame and will do the same to the top and rear hatch windows.

I think I found the perfect "off the shelf" spray paint also that is a nice tossup between how the TIEs looked lit on screen in ANH and ESB, it is a Rustoluem Grey Primer with a cold hue to it that almost has a slight lean into blue, in person it looks great and like the ship as lit onscreen I think.

With Steve's cleanup of the ICONs model into something much more accurate, and my adding an interior cockpit, I am excited to display this. Next I am going to get Chris Kelley's Vader TIE to go along with it and incorporate the same type of cockpit and lighting details.

Anyway I hope everyone enjoys the pictures.

JV

TIE_PROGRESS_5_3.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jvasilatos @ May 5 2006, 04:18 AM) [snapback]1238718[/snapback]</div>
I finally decided on a color scheme for the mystery part of the TIE Cockpit interior since I don't think there were any on the practical set in the film. All I have left to do now is trim the light sheet panels into the triangle light panels to be added against the rear wall as seen in the film. I burned out the power supply for the light sheet as I was trying to wire the electronics to power up with the LED engine lights as well as one engine light... ARGHHH... I had to tear out one LED from the engine nozzle enclosure to replace it. Lesson learned... figure out the electronics hookup with seperate lights so if it works, when you copy it to the model light setup you don't risk burning out hard to get to lights already installed.

TIE_PILOT.jpg

You can see at the bottom of the next set of pictures how the cockpit will look next to a movie screencap of the cockpit and where the red panel lights will go. The side panels are just temporarily in place for these pictures, and when everything is finalized I am going to add hoses and other details to the inside before closing it up. I am also going to add those round ended cylinders that show in the screencaps protruding down from the front window frame into the shot on each side of the pilot. I also thought it would be neat to camouflage the electronics wiring with springs that look like hoses to also detail the inside. The battery power supply will go behind the cockpit since I had to replace the on-off swith with a parallel switch to accomodate the wiring setup. AND if it's possible, I may add a little piece of light sheet to that display triangle in the front window so it reflects light onto the front of the pilot.

Then the only other thing left will be the wings when I get the large styrene panels to sandwich between the black mesh wire panels and wing frames.

I know that the "hero" screen models did not have any clear plastic in the window frames, but since this is supposed to be an idealized display model with the inclusion of the custom cockpit, I added clear plastic to the front window frame and will do the same to the top and rear hatch windows.

I think I found the perfect "off the shelf" spray paint also that is a nice tossup between how the TIEs looked lit on screen in ANH and ESB, it is a Rustoluem Grey Primer with a cold hue to it that almost has a slight lean into blue, in person it looks great and like the ship as lit onscreen I think.

With Steve's cleanup of the ICONs model into something much more accurate, and my adding an interior cockpit, I am excited to display this. Next I am going to get Chris Kelley's Vader TIE to go along with it and incorporate the same type of cockpit and lighting details.

Anyway I hope everyone enjoys the pictures.

JV

TIE_PROGRESS_5_3.jpg

[/b]

That is very impressive work. Keep it up..............

Damn JV that is gonna be nice. I really need to get to work on my wings and see if I can unbend them :(

Greg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jades Dark Heart @ May 5 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]1238830[/snapback]</div>
Damn JV that is gonna be nice. I really need to get to work on my wings and see if I can unbend them :(

Greg
[/b]

What do you mean unbend them? Are you doing the Koolshade wings or did you get the resin ones?

@JV: Great work . Keep it up .

I guess JDH has the regular resin wings like me. I have the same problems that these are slightly warped.
If anyone has a suggestion how to unbend i would be open for it :)
(making 'em hot and just bend them is not an option, cause you need to get them totally straight).

JV that is really looking fantastic :thumbsup

The pilot in particular looks outstanding... the imperial logos on the helmet totally rock..

awesome work

NO NO NO hehe my wings are bent bent because I am a retard. My wings came perfect out of the box, but I didnt have room on my workbench and I leaned my wings up against it during the middle of summer here in Texas. They look like smiley faces from the side now. ::Sigh::

In all the time I have been building props and models, that ranks as the number one most ignorant and costly thing I have ever done.

JDH

I always hold out hope Steve will send me some new wings out of the goodness of his heart :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jvasilatos @ May 5 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]1238850[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jades Dark Heart @ May 5 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]1238830[/snapback]

Greg
[/b]

What do you mean unbend them? Are you doing the Koolshade wings or did you get the resin ones?
[/b][/quote]

Guys,

JV great job man. Outstanding....

Heres a trick I just used to fix some severly warped wings. I took one wing and laid it on the hood of my dark blue van. Direct sunlight on a very sunny day uniformly heated the resin.

Resin has what I call memory. It wants to go back to its original shape. Unform heat will cause everything to droop. So I allowed them the heat up then I slowly statred rotating the the wing along its edge and the curcular motion which starightend the wing back to where it looked like it did prior to the warping.

I kept doing this till the wing was straight. Once satified I ran cold water over the wing as I still rotated it till it became hard again. Warped wings are now straight again.

Resin when exposed to heat and pressure will warp. The warping will occur even if there were rod inserted in the casting. Pressure even the slightest on a stored kit will bend. Store resin kits in a cool place out of direct sunlight. Make sure your finished pieces are not in direct sunight either. They will heat up and start drooping.

JDH.. hope it works..plus I know a guy you canget new ones from.

Spiker, your right heating a specific area will not make them perfectly straight. If you cannot live with the warp try the the above but remember the amount of force you use to straighten can actualy make it worse if you do not do it correclty. PM me a picture of the warp your talking about maybe i can give you a hand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1138 @ May 5 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]1238910[/snapback]</div>
JV that is really looking fantastic :thumbsup

The pilot in particular looks outstanding... the imperial logos on the helmet totally rock..

awesome work
[/b]

Oh yeah... detailing with a fine tipped brush and taking my glasses off... I think it took me about four times of retouch to get them right before I gave up lol.

JV

JDH-

A suggestion I just used on my ERTL Vader TIE wings to bend them inward more on the top and bottom to make them look a little more like the studio model... and for the size of your TIE wings, this would work best in a bath tub instead of risking ruining the finish on your car hood.

Fill your tub with boiling hot water, dip the wings in it as flat as you can, then without scalding yourself, gently bend them back straight and as they cool, run them under cold water to make them really stiff again. It might be an easier work environment to get them back into shape.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back