Paintball Blade Runner Blaster with Umarex HDR 50 internals

W1nn13

Hi all,

I am new to this community, even though I am a huge Blade Runner fan, but I never thought about building props or replicas of props.
That changed a few months ago, when my brother bought himself a Umarex HDR 50 'Home Defense Revolver", basically a cal. 50 paintball marker. It is pretty big and when I looked at it, I thought it might be about the size of Rick Deckard's blaster...
To make a long story short: I bought a 3D printer, made myself familiar with the challenges of 3D printing and downloaded Fusion 360.

The Umarex HDR 50 consists of two thin black pastic shells around the internal mechanics, there are no essential part except the ejector rod in these two shells. So my idea is to create 3D printable parts that replace these two shells and use the internal HDR 50 mechanics without any change. This would allow the marker to still be legal in countries with restrictions on paintball markers and also would enable to 're-wrap' the HDR 50 without any gunsmithing skills.

It's a work in progress, but some Fusion 360 screenshots below. All parts are fully parametric, i.e. not using polygons and surface subdivision as I have to change dimensions by a few fractions of a millimeter here and there. I also created the Umarex HDR 50 internals from scratch to make sure they fit.

I may have a couple of questions about dimensions or how people built their replicas, hence my posting even though the project is far from being finished yet. There are so many awesome builds here in the forum that I couldn't resist to sign up :)

Hope you find that interesting.

Best,
Winnie

Umarex HDR 50 Hero Blaster v17_2.png

Umarex HDR 50 Hero Blaster v17.png

Last edited:
Had to rebuild the entire receiver as the original diameter of (I believe) 28 mm won't work with the Umarex internals. Thanks to Fusion 360 and the parametric approach, scaling it up to 30 mm wasn't that much of an issue.

Spent half a day on finding the right fonts for the markings. Many 3D print models I have seen use fonts that do not really resemble or match the original ones used by Steyr. In particular the "3" of the serial number is important in my opinion.

Also I vectorized the proof marks on the receiver. By the way, these are marks from the (ballistic) proof house in Vienna. The eagle is Vienna's general proof mark, the "NvP" is for proofing the receiver with Nitro gunpowder.

Working on the bolt handle now, this is tricky as I want the bolt not only to operate - which is a nightmare given there's almost no space above the Umarex HDR 50 frame - but also to be used to operate the ejector rod of the HDR 50. I.e. if you pull the bolt handle backwards, the 'cylinder flap' on the left side should open and the ejector rod from the HDR50 should be pulled forward. Will keep you posted...

Best,

Winnie

Umarex HDR 50 Hero Blaster 2nd v6.png

Spent the last days with details and proof prints, so not much new stuff except the green LED sight on the left.

HDR50 Blaster Full Assembly v12.png

First rough print is ok-ish, but needs tuning as it's prone to break at the slot for the bolt handle (which seems to be too big anyway).

20201230_213257.jpg

Magazine housing pretty much done, started working on the left cylinder cover and running into some issues: a) the Umarex cylinder is very far to the front of the frame and b) it's 45 mm wide, much wider than the original cylinder from the Charter Arms Buffalo revolver used for the prop. This leaves no space for the indent in front of the cylinder where the two grey wires run in...
Still working on a solution for that, so expect some modifications here and there.

HDR50 Blaster Full Assembly v34.png

Work on the grip started... Challenging to model the grip without using polygons and surface subdivision, just T-Splines/NURBS, but we'll get there.
With only right cover, frame and magazine missing, I hopefully can start placing all the holes and studs to hold the Umarex HDR 50 mechanics next week and start printing the first prototypes the week after...

HDR50 Blaster Full Assembly v37.png

Last edited:
Work on right cover and frame started, however as the cylinder of the Umarex HDR 50 is in the way, it's very challenging to find the right place for the iconic knobs.

HDR50 Blaster Full Assembly v3 v8.png

Last edited:
Amazing! I had the same idea, and already have a 3D printer and can model (somewhat) and you just... did it! Will you be selling the .STLs when you're through?

I think I will provide the STLs for free, but sell the CAD model data and high quality resin printed parts or so.
I guess I should have said, "Made available." Thanks again for all your hard work. I've been lurking on this forums for some time, and see your project is what finally convinced me to sign up to be a part of the community.

Since you're doing this Parametrically, once you have these 2 pieces ( the HDR50 and the PKD) the possibilities become almost endless. Someone (not to put all the work on you) could adapt the PKD to its little brothers, the Umarex Brodax and Elite Force H8R (BB/pellet/Airsoft versions of this marker) for those who missed out on the Airsoft PKD from several years ago.

Likewise, the bare HDR internals look a lot like Rey's blaster from the newer SW franchise, I could see adapting it to that, or to several iconic blasters, depending on fit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back