Paint wet on part after a few days

lukebrynycz

Sr Member
Hi guys. I have successfully painted 6 large resin parts with no issues at all, but one part just won't take paint! I have rubbed it down with 180s then 400s, then air dusted off. I etch primed, then added a texture spray, followed by the top coat. When I'm doing it, it works fine and feels dry like the rest of the part, but then when I put it in a box and come back to it the next day, it's soaking wet and just rubs right off.

Any ideas? I have read somewhere that it may be due to it seeping due to old resin but it's not as all other boxes are fine from the same container and are perfectly dry. Really deflated after trying 3 times to repaint it :(

I would second that it sounds like a resin issue. Try sanding it down again and then lightly cook it in an over or toaster oven for a bit to see if you can get the resin to stop being difficult. If that doesn't work then try casting another piece and starting over. :(

I have an SD Studios (don't mention that name, I know ;) ) '89 Batman Grapple Gun, and one resin part had the same problem: the paint came right off. I contacted Stephen and mentioned the problem, and he told me that it was due to a "bad batch of the resin he used". He sent me a replacement that was perfect, so I guess he knew what he was talking about?

Was this one part that gives the problem, casted with another batch of resin? Maybe something in this mixture was not right, with this as a result? If you cast another part with that same batch and it has the same problem, then you're sure, I guess...

Cheers guys. I have half a tub left so I guess I'll try cast another. :-(

I stored my molds inside a plastic tub to stop them getting dust etc in them. Is it wise to wipe them out before making new casts? If so, what should you use?

Rubbing alcohol works just fine. Are you using a mold release when casting? If you are, are you washing the parts prior to painting with warm soapy water? If you don't remove the release residue from the part, you'll have all kinds of issues.

Rubbing alcohol works just fine. Are you using a mold release when casting? If you are, are you washing the parts prior to painting with warm soapy water? If you don't remove the release residue from the part, you'll have all kinds of issues.

Having thought about it more, I think I may know why. When I rubbed it down, on this section only, I didn't use panel wipe to clean off any fingerprints and/or the dust. I just used an airline to blow off any dust from sanding and scotch. Do you think this is the cause? Maybe grease from hands?

I agree with the above
Bleeding resin never dries
You need to cut the section off or drill it
It's either unmixed or contaminated .
Could be the end of the tub???
Mars

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back