Paint scheme for ESB Vader

Replicator1701

I have a Rubies Deluxe that I'm upgrading with new lenses and paint.
What type of paint/brand is the gun metal color. Also, is the gunmetal on the face the same color as on the shoulder armor? What clear gloss should I use? I'm worried about the effect the paint will have on the plastic as opposed to painting fiberglass.

Please help.
Todd

Yes, the faceplate and armor should match.
As for a good ESB color, check out Charcoal Metallic EDSGM318 from Duplicolor. It's slightly darker than the Duplicolor Gunmetal.
In order to avoid tragedy, get the same brand of paint and clearcoat...
The old "sand and coat" routine works fine for plastic too... using automotive paint on vinyl or ABS ain't no problem. You may want to prep the surfaces to be painted with those plastic fusion products, but I don't know... I tried it and didn't see any major difference in the outcome.:)

Not an intentional hijack, just another question.

Since the helmet is plastic and even though you are using automotive paints, what are the chances of the plastic flexing and the paint cracking?

I have a DP CA that is a wearable but I would like to paint the ESB/ROTJ colors but I am afraid the paint crackiing and flaking off.
I imagine this would apply to the Rubies helmet as well.

Kenny

I have a DP C/A, professionally painted w/ automotive paints and clearcoats... no cracking or flaking issues whatsoever, and I have bent & flexed both dome and faceplate when wearing and modding. Have one small chip off the edge of the dome - former owner probably banged it against something. Dropped the dome on a tile floor - no marks I couldn't buff out.
Been in touch with several C/A owners with both pro- and homejobs on theirs... never heard of any trouble.:)

I have a Rubies I'm just finishing up. Believe it or not, I used the el-cheapo $0.97 walmart "Equipment Gray Primer" to prime the thing... then duplicolor for everything else. I used Duplicolor Gunmetal, Universal Black, and clear top coat.

I still have to paint the silver in the nose, and I have a hard time getting good pics with my camera, but here it is (tusks by Russrep)

IM000994.jpg

I put up progress pics in my photobucket http://photobucket.com/albums/c100/jedi515...lmet%20upgrade/

AnythingSciFi:
Yep, that's a Rubies. If you click the photobucket link in my post above, you can see (nearly) step-by-step pics of the transformation. It took a lot of work, but it's worth it. I cut out the eye sockets, filled the extra nose ridge, replaced the lenses (these are flat and I kinda like it), filed the "teeth" out square, heated and fixed the neck flare, and modified the dome mount slightly to lift it up off the face.

I'm not the only one who's done this, there are others on here who have done an even better job.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Doug

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back