Paint on flex foam

Risu

Master Member
So I've got a stunt prop cast from smooth-on flex foam it (or equivalent) and I want to paint it as chrome as possible. Can I use Alclad II chrome on this type of stuff, or will it just look terrible/crack? I know about the XTC foam coat stuff, but I want this to stay foamy.

If you want it to stay malleable, then your best bet is PVA glue base (50/50 mix with water) of 2-3 thin coats. And then a layer or two of Plastidip. That should get it fairly smooth surface while retaining the bendable foaminess (unless you're looking for the foam texture and in that case, IDK). Then automotive primer and paint.

I used Krylon covermaxx instead of the automotive paint on my cyberman's thighs and it worked fine. No cracking when bent/pushed.

The glue I really WANT to use is Alclad II chrome. I'll be using it on my 3d printed ABS Guardians orb, but I also want to use it on the foam one I picked up. I know it won't look as good as the plastic one, but I'm shooting for the best option I can get. I'd definitely prefer to stick to airbrush paint and not use any automotive rattle cans.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back