Paint help needed please. Carbon ?

Sean

Sr Member
Hello to the wonderfully creative members of the RPF. I'm working on a project and as usual hit a curve In the painting aspects.would preferably like to use rattle can. But so far the only thing Ive found close Is a house paint. Wanting a Carbon color paint. Would love to know how to mix the color myself. But have not experimented enough with paint to know such thing's. I will be most grateful for any and all help from the extraordinary talent harbored here at the RPF.

Attachments

• carbon-behr-premium-plus-ultra-paint-colors-ul20316-64_1000.jpg
    carbon-behr-premium-plus-ultra-paint-colors-ul20316-64_1000.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 729
Near-black dark grey is sometimes called "Anthracite" or "Coke" by the brands, but the actual darkness may vary between brands. Hues in catalogues, on-line and on spray can lids can be misleading.
The best way is to visit a physical store that has actual paint samples on hand and compare those to what you want.

1C58B841-E302-4084-BD40-D062E9921CDC.jpeg
CD19A183-8F4C-4955-ACE3-24525FE6FAB2.jpeg

This may not be exactly what you’re looking for, if it isn’t I apologize for the misunderstanding.

You could try a flat black and polish in some graphite powder, which will give you a very nice even tone. Just let the black fully cure, take a cotton pad and dip it in some powdered graphite.
I would consider that “carbon black” but it may be slightly more metallic than you’re looking for.

If you’d only like to use rattle cans you are really limited by the selection. Montana spray paints may have a tone very close to what you’re looking for. Without knowing exactly what you’re trying to achieve it’s hard to recommend much else at the moment.

Both Ideas sound good. was thinking of visiting a paint store. and also trying out the graphite trick as well. Totally appreciate the suggestions and pics Guy's.

For the Behr latex paint color in a rattle can, check your local auto parts stores. Some have a large variety of rattle cans, some dont. Ive seen that exact grey color as well as shades darker and lighter, in flat, matte and gloss finishes.

The flat black and graphite powder you can test cheaply. A dollar store can of flat black and the dollar tube of graphite powder sold at tool and home improvement stores as lock and key lubrication. A small bit of that stuff goes a long way. Keep in mind it can get very messy so only use it in a proper area.

For the Behr latex paint color in a rattle can, check your local auto parts stores. Some have a large variety of rattle cans, some dont. Ive seen that exact grey color as well as shades darker and lighter, in flat, matte and gloss finishes.

The flat black and graphite powder you can test cheaply. A dollar store can of flat black and the dollar tube of graphite powder sold at tool and home improvement stores as lock and key lubrication. A small bit of that stuff goes a long way. Keep in mind it can get very messy so only use it in a proper area.

Thanks Rob. I keep quiet a few cans of automotive paints around. Mostly primers. The grays lighter and darker just seem a pinch of from the Carbon color. To me anyway. I find It hard to match somthing to a photo. when It has a used weathered look and makes it even more difficult for me. Then the lighting falls into play. You're work has painting down to a science. Could only wish to get pinch close to some of the things I've seen you post.

Last edited:
You can also go to an automotive paint shop and most are able to mix paint and put into an aerosol spray can. If you are going for a carbon fiber look, I would look into layering the paint and using different shades of charcoal or a dark grey color.

Sorry for the non reply guys. Flu bugs got me under the weather. would like to thank everyone again for the help/
Not going for a carbon fiber look. Im working on an Angel of Verdun sword.

Prop store Pic. and was just trying to figure out the best base coat before weathering. lookeed sort of carbon y to me. I used one of the online picture color finder things. and got this.
Untitled.jpg
Untitledhh.jpg

Looks more grayish to me now. think I will just use one of the squares and run It up to a paint store. or shoot some samples of the grays I have and see whats close.

Again my thanks guys.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back