Paint for slick molded plastic....question

Mojo_Turbo

Hey gang, this Christmas I want to make a "prop" for my son - but for actual play time and wear and tear.

I have the main body of the "item" (ssshhh, I can't tell you because it's a Christmas surprise) and so my question is...

How do I paint this thing?

The base is molded colored plastic, and it's slick to the touch. Basically a "fisher price" toy. How do I now paint the item to be more accurate? My first choice is to use "spray paint" and then seal it with a matte spray.

This is what I did with his Star Wars guns - and it has worked for the most part except for some scratching, but is there anything safer?

Or perhaps anything made to be sprayed on smooth plastic?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

grey scotch pad to buff away the shine and leave a slight key

rattle can plastic primer , various places will have it so try and stick with one range that has the top coat

couple of coats of primer , sand out any peel or defects , then on with the top coats

grey scotch pad to buff away the shine and leave a slight key

rattle can plastic primer , various places will have it so try and stick with one range that has the top coat

couple of coats of primer , sand out any peel or defects , then on with the top coats

This how I'd do it too. Just to add, I'd give the primer at least a couple of days in a warm enviroment to cure & I'd use 1000 grit wet n dry (wet) to flat the primer prior to top coat.

Rattle can Krylon auto body primer from Walmart or similar. It will etch and stick to anything. Then wet/dry sand as stated above and put on your color coat (does not have to be Krylon - you can move on to acrylic or enamel at this point).

thanks tons, the only thing I am concerned about is the sanding..... I don't want to 'scratch up' the item. What exactly am I doing? What is wet n dry?

Forgive if I should know all this stuff by now....

thanks tons, the only thing I am concerned about is the sanding..... I don't want to 'scratch up' the item. What exactly am I doing? What is wet n dry?

Forgive if I should know all this stuff by now....

Its a rubbing down paper (sandpaper) that can be used either wet or dry.
It comes in various grits the higher the number ie 1000 grit the softer the paper, the lower the number the courser the paper. 1000 grit will do just fine for flatting primer.
After flatting the primer rinse off any residue & make sure its fully dry & free from oil or silicones before top coating.

Edit, of course it would help if we knew what you were painting as all this could be overkill :)

Last edited:
1000 or 1200 is super fine ...it wont scratch anything

the scotch pad i suggested is more fool proof , you need to sand away the shine that way the paint sticks and wont chip off easily

id also wash the item several times in hot water and dish soap before priming

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back