Padme Amidala Dining Dress

Darth Movado

Hello folks,

I am in a hunt for the lace or more realistically, a good fake of the lace used in this dress:

chronicles1.jpg

dag1.jpg

I know it is a lace overlay of an ivory, white, or slightly silvery fabric. I know this lace is probably custom made for the movie, but I am still trying to locate a lace that is similar or even a print fabric that can give me the look I'm trying for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need about 5 yards I am thinking.

Movado

There is some research about this dress on my site: www.angelsofiego.com and to be definitive, skirt is made of custom black lace over silver silk satin fabric. Feel free to look over at AOI as we are a female SW costuming site.

Since you're in Atlanta, hit up Gail K. Best fabric store in town. They likely have the best selection of lace in the ATL if any (I never looked for lace there, so I can't say for sure).

Of course for a wider selection, you'd have to make it to NYC and pick through Mood Fabric's corner o' Lace.

Thanks to both of you. I'll check out that website for the female costumers. I've already been to Gayle K. I found something there that "may" work, but I was hoping to get a little better. If necessary, I may head back there in the next month or so and see what Lee has in stock. Is Mood online? :)

Movado

Mood does have a website, but their online stock is extremely limited compared to what they have instore. They're the ones that you see every week on projject runway. A big deal to be sure, as are most of the NYC fashion district stores, most of which either have no website,or a very limited one. Se La Vie

http://www.moodfabrics.com/

I searched and searched and searched for the fabric myself. Never turned up anything ... I did read that the dress maker said it was a custom burnout velvet lace for the top layer so if that was true the best you can hope for is a near match.

Do you have a source for the hair wrap thing?

I love project runway. Very cool concept and show. Mood would be a great place to visit if I ever made it to New York.

Movado

You can ye lace. Depending on the fiber content that is. However, there is the whole problem with getting black with over the counter dyes. Very difficult to achieve unless you're working with silk.

What about burnout velvet as alternative?

In my opinion most of the laces have a too floral pattern. I decided to use burnoutvelvet for my dress and I'm quite satisfied with the result:
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/117175/

Welcome to the boards. Your dress is very nice and you pull it off well. You've not only made a good costume, but captured the essence of the character as well, which isn't always accomplished with some costumes...

Do you have a source for the hair wrap thing?

A costumer I know who did this costume used fake hair wrapped about a bendable foam rod that I beleive she also got at the beauty supply store. Spray paint the rod dark brown and tightly wrap the hair around it, securing the ends with a couple of stitches.

I've just started my version:

After two years of trying to find a suitable fabric again ;) I swear I've looked every time I go to the fabric store, regardless of what I was supposed to be looking for.

I've got the petticoat nicely shaped now and so the next task is to piece my satin and whip that under the overlocker as well as the over layer :)

I have started to work on the necklace and found the headband yesterday :) I gave away my tulle so I may have to buy some more, I'll be sewing it between the layers of cotton so I don't get scratched by it ;) I've done this before and it works very well.

The fabric was a little pricey but I'm happy with it :)

Thanks :) I may be able to get some more if people are interested. Or I may be able to get you in contact with the sellers anyway.

@ mdb:
This is by far the best fabric for this costume I've ever seen. Congratulations!
I can't wait to see pictures of you wearing the finished dress!!!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back