P2 Undermask

Unforgiven Hunter

Alright guys so I had a P2 bio sitting here on my MM undermask and I just wasn't happy with the way the bio sat on the head, so I decided to just sculpt a P2 undermask. I started it back on the 9th or so, I had to stop working on it a week or so ago because I was waiting for some supplies to be delivered but now I can call it done. I might mold it either tonight or wait until tomorrow morning to do it. Anyways on with the pictures.
After 10 hours on day 1
DSC01690.jpg
DSC01685.jpg
DSC01688.jpg
Then after another 10 hours or so over the span of a few days.

DSC01706.jpg
DSC01704.jpg
DSC01705.jpg
Then I through some mandibles on it to check if the proportions were right, and I almost thought of just sculpting the entire face because for some reason it just looked awesome.

DSC01711.jpg
DSC01710.jpg
nd then the final sculpt as of about an hour ago.

DSC01734.jpg
DSC01742.jpg
DSC01740.jpg
DSC01739.jpg
DSC01737.jpg
DSC01735.jpg
Sorry for the blurry photos I'm just incapable of taking clean shots LOL. I'll take some more pictures when I make the first latex pull.

-Chris

Thanks guys, I think i'm gonna hold on on molding until tomorrow. I've only made one other Ultracal mold and I don't want to rush it and screw it up.

-Chris

Dude - thats frikkin awesome! I really think you should show more pics of those other P1/P2 heads you've sculpted and hell even mold them up ;)

Dude - thats frikkin awesome! I really think you should show more pics of those other P1/P2 heads you've sculpted and hell even mold them up ;)

I will in time. One of the reasons why i'm doing this is for mold making practice. If I'm going to mess up a mold I would rather have it be on this then one of the other heads I spent so much time on.

-Chris

Wow, that awsome. I really like the releif you put for the laser area, great idea. (y)

What is that armature your using? It looks well used and kinof old.

Ok I just finished the mold. Quick question though is it safe to leave it to cure overnight or should I demold it tonight?

Wow, that awsome. I really like the releif you put for the laser area, great idea. (y)

What is that armature your using? It looks well used and kinof old.

Thanks! The armature is a older Monster Makers model that they don't sell anymore. Which is a good thing because I hate it

-Chris

Ok I just finished the mold. Quick question though is it safe to leave it to cure overnight or should I demold it tonight?
The only difference should be that right after the cure time is up the clay will still be warm (and softer). That may help but really it shouldn't matter. This is my opinion and I have done it both ways. Cooling the whole thing down should help with removing bigger chunks of clay though. I may be reading into it too.

This is the tensest moment of the process. You just covered up the sculpt and don't know how it will come out. So, good luck. We're all counting on you. :D

The only difference should be that right after the cure time is up the clay will still be warm (and softer). That may help but really it shouldn't matter. This is my opinion and I have done it both ways. Cooling the whole thing down should help with removing bigger chunks of clay though. I may be reading into it too.

This is the tensest moment of the process. You just covered up the sculpt and don't know how it will come out. So, good luck. We're all counting on you. :D

Ahh this is news I needed, I think I'm gonna leave it overnight because I'm about to fall asleep typing this and I don't want to mess it up because I was tired. Thanks for the speedy response.

-Chris

I was shutting down my computer for the night when I saw your question. I didn't know if anyone would respond so I did. I was cursing your name because I was going to bed too. Although it is later on your coast. Man, if it was that late on a work night, I would have just went to bed. I have made some pretty bad fatigue related errors that I don't want to do again.

DSC01748.jpg
DSC01747.jpg
he mold is seperated and cleaned out of the bulk of clay.
DSC01744.jpg
img]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/Supreme_Hunter/P2 undermask/DSC01745.jpg[/img]
Unfortunetly there is some damage most likely from my inexperience, now I need some help on how I'm going to fix it.
DSC01745.jpg
-Chris

DSC01746.jpg

Wow man the sculpt look incredible. Once repaired I cant wait to see a helmet sitting on that head. I so need me a p2 head like this...

So, I'm looking at the mold and it looks like you put a burlap layer as the second coat then? Gravity wasn't helping either. If that's what you did then next time I'd recommend doing a second coat or a thicker beauty coat before adding a burlap layer.

You can fill the pockets a couple different ways. What I've done and recommend is spritzing down the hole with water to moisten the mold. Then mix up some Ultracal and fill the hole. As it sets shape it and try to get the detail in it that you need. Once it sets you would be able to scrape in some more detail if you think you need it.

Filling the hole with anything that doesn't absorb will give you curing issues. Especially on such large areas.

Other than the air pockets, you have a very good looking mold (y) . I had the same issues on my first large two piece mold.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back