P2 Sculp And Mask - 1St Attempt

spartagates

Hi,

The Pred films have always been one of my favourite sci-fi's and the work you guys do with the masks & suits have really inspired me to have a go myself so I'm starting my own thread with my "journey" as I try and create my own. I'm starting with the mask and hope to work right the way through to the full suit. I know it's gonna take a long time and not be cheap, but in for a penny, in for a pound! I won't get any where near your quality and I don't expect much input in the thread as I'm totally amateur at this, but I'm approaching the thread as a "diary" for my self and if anyone does take the time to comment I'd very flattered and will receive all advice / criticisms in good faith and with gratitude :)

First thing I must do is tip my hat to Usurper. I have been following his threads very closely, they have formed a massive resource and I thank him for the detail- it was one of the main reasons I have chosen P2 as my first attempt!

So, to my start. Simple fleabay mannequin head. I've not cut the nose & ears off; probably regret this later!

DSC_0004.jpg

With my first bag of clay, off I go with a nice thick neck (22" approx)

DSC_0006.jpg

Now I moved onto getting some big lumps on so I could get a basic shape going.

DSC_0010-1.jpg

Already, the choice with the nose is bugging me! Spent a bit more time fleshing the bulk out....

DSC_0013.jpg

And that was my first afternoon done!

Managed to free up some time the following evening to build on the head further.

DSC_0016.jpg

It's starting to look big and the 12.5kg bag of clay is looking small!! Jeez, how much clay am I gonna need?! Adding some more..

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

And that was my full 12.5kg gone Ordered up another bag so sealed the head and put it aside; dam, was feeling motivated :unsure:

About a week later, new bag delivered and small amount of clay "tax" issued to eldest child (6) so she can help, I award a rare evening off work (self employed, so riddled with guilt spending time on this :( ). Started adding some basic brow and chin detailing, continuing to bulk out the piece...

DSC_0019.jpg

Filled out the rear of the head a bit more aswell...

DSC_0021-1.jpg

Enjoying the time working with clay; strangely relaxing! Spent some time trying to get a bit shape to the face / mouth in relation to the brow so I can get a feel for the overall shape; also started work on the inner circle of horns....

DSC_0023.jpg

From the front it looks squashed to me at the moment and the brow too thick....

DSC_0024.jpg

I know the symmetry is terrible, I will try and address this later, I'm thinking (probably foolishly!) that if i can get a basic shape I am happy with, the rest will fall into place! Started adding outer crown circle...

DSC_0032-1.jpg

Made a basic second outer crown now and the second bag of clay is looking decidedly small!! How much clay does a sculp normally use!!!??!!

DSC_0036.jpg

Added a bit more to the outer crown; also shaved off a bit on the front as the proportions were not feeling good....

DSC_0038.jpg

And that's were I am at. Only about a 1/4 of a 12.5kg bag of clay left so think I may need another bag :( on a plus note, the wife (Gwen) said "Well, I'm shocked to be honest, I thought it was going to look sh%t but it's actually looking pretty good". I think that passes as a compliment!

Things I need to address soon as are eyeballs. What do you guys use? I want to get the size right and get them in as soon as so it gives a bit life to the sculp so I can get a feel of where I am.

off to a good start, :) keep taking photos and looking at different angles, you seem to be critical of your work so far, which will help you do the best you possibly can. and i am sure more members will jump in with advice and help if required. :cool:

good luck :)

off to a good start, :) keep taking photos and looking at different angles, you seem to be critical of your work so far, which will help you do the best you possibly can. and i am sure more members will jump in with advice and help if required. :cool:

good luck :)

Thank you! I'm a complete noob and any input is more than welcomed! The dog was barking at the sculp tonight, not sure if thats a good or bad sign!

Im also thinking of doing this so ill be watching with a keen eye...looks good so far,keep up the good work.

Hey-hey... not too bad for a beginner. I think it looks like it will be a fairly decent piece if you keep on it.

I too will be attempting a sculpt of wearable size but for now I am attempting a smaller 1/6 size head just to get the feel for sculpting.

You were right in getting the basic shapes down. What took me a long time to realise is that the detailing should be the icing on the cake, not what tells people what you have sculpted. Something i tried while getting the basic shapes in is to look at areas in a "picture frame" using your fingers. if the rough shape screams PREDATOR, the shape is right. If not have a look at some of the reference pics to see if you can improve it. Taking photos helps a lot and if you can try and do it in different lighting as you will notice different things.

Off to a good start my friend. My first pred head sculpt was based around the P2 and I used Usurpers threads for reference materials ... great stuff to follow. Looking forward to seeing this develop with each update. Keep up the good work my friend

Thanks for all the replies, advice and encouragement :D Been busy with work but freed up a little time tonight to try and get the shape closer to what I'm after. Had to shave a load off the back as was too long and the forehead crown shape is still not quite right; not worrying about the face shape / detailing to much atm as the head shape is bugging me and this needs to be sorted before I feel I should move on

So here's some pics of where he's at....

DSC_6651.jpg

As you can see, some cheap bouncy balls from Tesco and he's finally staring back at me! o_O

DSC_6652.jpg

Alot happier with the side profile now

DSC_6654.jpg

Lol, this shows how out the symmetry is at present; not worried at the mo as just trying to get the shape right (though those jaw bones are shocking!)

DSC_6657.jpg

DSC_6658.jpg

DSC_6661.jpg

I think I got a bit closer to a good shape; feedback welcomed!

Looking good so far man for your first attempt.
The football eyes are bringing back memories of MY first pred sculpt lol......I used the same thing....it started out as a plastic football keyring.

This is the most important stage of a sculpt in my opinion.....so it's a must that you get your shapes right, you're doing fine so far man so just keep on it.

Well, been way too long since I updated this. Being self employed has stripped me of time and only just now got back to this. Here's the latest pics:

DSC_4376.jpg

DSC_4378.jpg

DSC_4379.jpg

Not symmetrical yet, still trying to get the overall shape right and will concentrate on details later. mandibles are just temps so I can get a feel for the shape. It doesn't show in the pics, but done loads to the top of the head / crown to get the shape better, it looked squashed and wrong but feel it is nearly there now. Going to try and put alot more time into this in July :)

Wow, that has come a long way! At this point it just needs some straightening out and smoothing. Makes me want to attempt this.

Wow, that has come a long way! At this point it just needs some straightening out and smoothing. Makes me want to attempt this.

Thanks ;) Not been worrying too much about symmetry yet, some of the odd bit like eyebrows and crown are way off but always wanted to get the shape right first and think it is getting there, but still a long way to go :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back