P2 Elder Predator (Greyback) - 10/16/11 Urgent Question!

Blade3327

Sr Member
Hey, dudes! Thanks to your awesome work, I couldn't take it anymore and just had to give this a shot. I took a basic one-semester ceramics class a couple months back and realized I wasn't too bad at sculpting, so I figured why not? Bought my supplies from Monster Makers (and their Standard Monster Clay clay is INSANELY COOL!) and decided which Pred to make. I thought the best first mask design to use would be the P1, but I wanted something a tad bit more challenging, so I chose good ol' Greyback -- who for some reason, I'm really into lately. I'm trying to make the movie version, not the one I've seen here a couple times with the extra teeth and whatnot.
Anyhow, I'll use this thread to document my progress on the Elder. Any thoughts, questions, or comments welcome!

The classic "duck-face" shape...
dvipw7.jpg

2ev6a8n.jpg

The eyes were a total pain to do, so I'm glad that's behind me now...
23psie.jpg

As you can see, I still haven't sculpted the back of his head where the dreads go, so right now he basically has a crest. I'll add more to the crest and finish up the back of his head a little later today, as well as fix any small symmetrical errors. Also, his forehead isn't done. As you guys know, Greyback has a pretty big, somewhat vertical forehead, so I need to crack open and *carefully* microwave the second and last 5 lb block I bought. Don't worry, I'm not leaving it the way it is :). More pics later today!

dvipw7.jpg

2ev6a8n.jpg

23psie.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates over the past week or so. I've been busy with school, and as usual, modding games :). Anyway, I worked on the mask again today for a good two to three hours and the basic shape turned out better than I ever could've expected! Right now, he seems more or less like a textbook P1 (which is great, whatwith this being my first major sculpting project ever), but there are a few things I can do to further the P2 Elder look. Right now, I'm just psyched that the mouth was such a success.
I also made some modifications to the inner-crown on his forehead (since it was too narrow before). Next stop, add more clay to the upper-forehead and sculpt the outer-crown ridges!

24paof9.jpg

dwb60l.jpg

29a7w4.jpg

10h0sgy.jpg

bdwkmh.jpg

Big improvement over the last update I did. Hope you guys like him so far !

24paof9.jpg

dwb60l.jpg

29a7w4.jpg

10h0sgy.jpg

bdwkmh.jpg

Looks really good, you can see the likeness to the elder in the updated sculpt pics..So the old fellow is called GrayBack, eh?
~Estelle

Thanks for the kind words, guys :)

@Estelle: That's what I've heard, lol.

@Everyone: How would you guys take these masks out of the mold? Should I do the teeth now, or later? Just wondering... To me, it looks as if after you make the final mold, the clay sculpture must be broken when you take it out (as there seems to be no other way to remove it).

Yes and no on the mold, sometimes the mold will pop right off of the sculpture and there will hardly be any damage to the sculpture but then there is times where the clay will have to be dug out of the mold. As for the teeth definitely mold them separately. I'll be waiting for more updates on this piece it's looking killer.

-Chris

Ahoy, again :). It's been a while, but as usual, school and the other projects are tuggin' away at me. I've found some time to do more work during the weekday evenings (surprisingly enough), and I gotta say, he's really starting to take shape. The whole thing is turning out miles better than I expected.
I know I said I'd be doing forehead ridges for this update, but I couldn't resist the urge to make some teeth and lower-mandibles! Honestly, I spent a lot of time perfecting the teeth, whether it was the curvature, the ridged shapes along the length of them, etc. Always seems like the most movie-accurate Preds have non-cylindrical teeth, so the work was worth it. I also added a slight indent in the middle of his forehead as a guide to where I'll put in those iconic Elder wrinkles.

I have a question for you more seasoned sculptors (like Usurper for instance, I'd appreciate this greatly). How exactly do you guys sculpt/carve out wrinkles (of any size)? To me, if I were to use the tools to "carve" them, there would be excess debris. This wouldn't be wiped off so easily, so better smoothing would be needed -- the kicker is, how do you smooth such small details and not smudge them or lose them? I was always curious how this is done, so it'd be a great help if I got any advice or input on this.

In the meantime, enjoy these latest pics! I'll be back soon with more updates; I'm on a roll now, so there won't be as much procrastination :eek:.

30lh43s.jpg

4tvwvk.jpg

11bn0jp.jpg

30lh43s.jpg

4tvwvk.jpg

11bn0jp.jpg

that's comin along quite nicely there bud! the proportions seam to be playing out well too! i would only say that the eyebrows should be a little more "mean looking" as in the inner edges pointing more downward, ya know? and perhaps the last knuckle of the upper mandibles to be pointed more upward, but it's lookin great man! i know it's early still but i'll be watchin this one :) keep goin!

you have some serious sculpting skills, even if i took a class on it i would be no where close to you. Your doing a super great job im looking forward to seeing it finished

You can roll little worms for heavy wrinkles then smooth them out, or tools to carve them out of the clay, taking your time is the best tool you can use, it can be incredibly frustrating NOT getting what you are after, and i have been known to stab my sculpts in frustration hehe, just take a deep breath go atch tv or soething relaxing, then come back and have another go.

to smooth the wrinkles after you have made them.

If it is a water based clay you can use water and a small brush to smooth out wrinkles.

if it is a oil based clay you can use white spirits and lighter fluid i believe.

EDIT : oh and i am not a seasoned sculpter lol, do not think i am in double figures sculpt wise yet.

You can roll little worms for heavy wrinkles then smooth them out, or tools to carve them out of the clay, taking your time is the best tool you can use, it can be incredibly frustrating NOT getting what you are after, and i have been known to stab my sculpts in frustration hehe, just take a deep breath go atch tv or soething relaxing, then come back and have another go.

to smooth the wrinkles after you have made them.

If it is a water based clay you can use water and a small brush to smooth out wrinkles.

if it is a oil based clay you can use white spirits and lighter fluid i believe.

EDIT : oh and i am not a seasoned sculpter lol, do not think i am in double figures sculpt wise yet.

So you use liquid to smooth it out? That's... interesting. But I suppose it makes sense. Doubt I'd be using lighter fluid, though . Thanks for the tips! I was actually thinking of rolling worms for the bigger stuff.
And in my eyes, you totally are a seasoned sculptor. That P1 journey you did, while you might not be big on people using it as reference, was very helpful. Especially for someone just starting out. Great work, bro!

@hellonearth: Totally see what you're saying, bro. I'll pump up his mandibles and add a few ridges of my own design, just to shake things up. Adding more bulk to the lower brows might be a bit harder, but I'll do what I can.

Rubbing alcohol 90% is what you need for oil based clay. You won't light yourself on fire with it. I would love to comment but for some reason I can't see your photo. I can see everyone elses. Sorry.

Rubbing alcohol 90% is what you need for oil based clay. You won't light yourself on fire with it. I would love to comment but for some reason I can't see your photo. I can see everyone elses. Sorry.
I'm fairly certain that alcohol is just as flammable as lighter fluid. It just burns faster.

The lighter fluid is what was recommended to me by the sculpting store. It's Naphtha. I think the reason they say lighter fluid is that it's available in a nice 5 oz bottle as opossed to the quart or gallon sold as Naphtha. I have tried alcohol and acetone also and was finding them about the same. I could have been doing it wrong but it didn't seem too impressive.

I've had better luck moving my fingers over the area untill its warm or scraping the high parts down when the clay is cooler.

I'm no sculpter either though.

I wasn't worried about setting myself on fire. I just thought it uncomfortable to use actual lighter fluid to smoothen stuff. Alchohol just sounds better to me, dunno why . I'll give it a try, though. What properties do these liquids have that make them such an ideal choice for oil-based clay smoothing? Anything else I can get or mix together that has those properties?

As far as I know the Naphtha is petroleum based and will act like a thinner to the surface of the clay and then evaporate, leaving the clay the way it was. Usurper suggested white spirits. Thats mineral spirits(paint thinner) here and I will have to try that too.

@Usurper- How do you use the white spirits? Apply to rag and smooth or apply to clay and smooth? or something else?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back