P2 Armor Painting Question

Slave1

Sr Member
I may be working on a P2 bust down the road and want to do my homework ahead of time so that when I'm ready, I'll be ready.

I was wondering if anyone knew how they achieved some of the paintwork on the P2 armor pieces. Specifically, some of it looks like it has gun bluing on it. I have no idea if gun bluing could be used on paint, but I'm thinking the answer is no.

So how did they get that look? I'm thinking maybe an ink wash over the paint?

I've seen the disk having that same kind of blued look too? Well, actually all the weaponry.

I'm thinking it boils down to clever paintwork and an illusion due to the mainy layers, but if anyone knows of a special ingredient that gets that bluing effect, please chime in.

Predator72.jpg

Predator44.jpg

If you go into the linked higher res pic Art Andrews provided on the RPF, you may see some better examples. I'm noting how the blade gauntlet has that blued effect:
http://www.thereplicapropforum.com/attachments/f9/predator-2-poster-reference-predator-2-poster-1.jpg-49163d1301337765

I think using a patina shade gets you the coloration/effect you are looking for.

SnakeArmorCod.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you can mix some paints to get that bluish, green effect. Dry brush that on and you get that effect... Now the copper colors who knows what they used. Think larry at one time said he couldn't ever achieve or coming close to match those colors. I would love to know what copper paints they used....

Well, I'm not talking about the blue/green patina. That's easy to achieve.

The dark blue/blacks that you see sometimes is what I'm wondering about. And I'm leaning toward trying a light India ink wash just to see what that would do.

The green patina would come later. There are so many layers of colors and things going on with that armor it's amazing.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back