P1 Stunt Bio Wip - Pics Added

Giles

I've finally got round to starting on the very awesome P1Stunt that I bought from George a few months ago. I've been trying to decide how I want to proceed and thought that seeing as many people set out to make their bio flawless, I'm going the other way entirely. In terms of prep, I have sanded the bio with 40 grit, 80 grit, 120 grit and then dry/wet sanded with 400,600,800 and 1200 grit and then a full rinse under the tap, soaked some 1200 grit sandpaper for 5 minutes and then gave it a final going over. The bio is now silky smooth, though I do regret when asked what I was doing by my housemate replying with "polishing my helmet"! My plan is to prime with Grey on Tuesday night and then paint on Wednesday evening.

Things might go wrong here as the bio might be too smooth for the primer to adhere? Any thoughts? Then I'm going to try the Pred Huntr approach to painting it. Am i ok using acrylic paints for the UK people I'm thinking Tamyia, humbrol airfix style acrylics?

I have initial photos but I'm using my phone to type this and will sort them tomorrow in work. I will still need to cut the eyes out once i buy a dremel and need to resin the bottom of the chin as there is a tiny hairline crack in the bio.

As always thanks for looking and i'll have some finished pics come Wednesday.

When we would prep auto parts for paint at the old paint and body shop we would "scuff up" the new part with a green scotch bright pad. then we would shoot a primer coat then sand down the primer coat with 1200. I use the same process when it comes to painting my props.

the scotch bright pad just leaves very fine scratches in the part and the primer coat will cover them up. It gives the primer something to grab on to.

I always fine sand my props, then wash with dishwashing liquid and warm water to get rid of the resin dust, mold release and any dirt. Air dry completely, then hit with a good primer.

A sand with 600 grit and 3 layers of grey primer later and now the bio is drying overnight before a final light sand with 1200 grit and then I am going to start with the painting tomorrow. Rather than messing about with pictures here and there I am going to upload everything tomorrow evening.

Here's a quick update, finally with some pics. I gave it a quick sand down with 1200 Grit and started with my Tamyia Acrylics. I kicked off with Gun Metal, then moved onto some dabs of bronze, put some Copper highlights on the snout and above the eye. Then some Metallic Blues, then Metallic SIlver. I've only put up a few pics as I haven't got round to shrinking them in size yet. I'm going to put about another 10-20 layers of paint on. Pick up the Copper highlights again, add in some Chrome SIlver and then run in some black into the recesses. I've got an idea for making some blast marks as well though I'll have to see how they pan out. Let me know what you all think.

20120523_195030jpg.jpg

20120523_195507jpg.jpg

20120523_201650jpg.jpg

Profile Pic small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I haven't been very active recently, too busy buying a house and letting decorating get in the way. However as funds are tight, I thought I would try sculpting a shroud for my stunt bio. At first I thought I'd see if I could get one but then decide that sculpting one would be much more of a challenge. Then I sculpted it and went to post the update and realised I haven't updated any of my additional paint layers so there's an update on that front as well.

20131111_195850 (Custom).jpg

20131111_195858 (Custom).jpg

20131111_195907 (Custom).jpg

20131111_195923 (Custom).jpg

I am still not entirely sure weather I like the shroud at all. I haven't put the recessed line around it yet as I want to get some opinions on the positioning before I go ahead and smooth everything and proceed to casting it. As always, opinions welcome.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back