P1 Plasma Cannon Project

Rogue1

So, after years of model building, custom action figures, custom props, and costumes, I have stepped into the Predator realm. Please tell me what you think as this is my first attempt and I really am uncertain as to whether or not I am happy with it. I think some more painting, wiring, tubing, and LEDs are coming in the near future, as well as a bracket/mount. I appreciate the guidance earlier on weathering and painting from other members of this forum. Thanks!

015.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

Thanks for the kind words! I sincerely appreciate it!

I forgot to mention that I made the cannon from Foamular 150 styrene insulation, foamies, and some electrical components. I am considering adding some wiring and tubing to finish the effects, along with more paint. I am new to forming moulds, but am willing to give it a try!

Oh yeah, the carbon fouling on the muzzle is from Model Master brand Burnt Iron Metallizer paint, which is designed to use with an airbrush but I brushed it on with a cheap brush.

I used numerous screen shots and reference photos from different places as guides.

Thanks again!

great stuff mate!im looking to make on of these soon and i keep hearing about these foamies?not sure if i can get them in the uk...come on lets see a tutorial!haha keep up the good work mate.

I will be glad to do a tutorial on this! The Foamular 150 is sold in 4 x 8 sheets from Home Depot and is used as insulation; it is processed styrene, and is pink in color. The Foamies Craft Foam came from Michael's craft store, and I think Walmart sells it as well. The electrical components were purchased at Radio Shack. I am sure everything can be purchased on line though.

I do appreciate the kind words of encouragement! I think it has led me to the P2 Cannon next!

I will try to post some pics later in the week, but the steps are as follows:

1-Trace out your design on the Foamular 150 (2" thick), and carefully cut it out with a hacksaw blade or table saw(wear a mask to protect your lungs!)
2-Sand it to shape, and drill a hole for the barrell. I think I used a 1" bit. Make sure it is straight and level as you go! Wear goggles and mask!
3-Cut out foamies shapes, and glue them on with craft or white glue in the configuration you want.
4-For some designs, I cut shapes and engraved with a hobby knife and/or hot knife.
5-Add electronics components for detail (resistors and such); note, I also used cotton swab plastic tubes for detail on barrell and back of cannon.
6-Let dry, then seal the entire thing with sealer, plastidip, or paint/glue.
7-Paint with a black undercoat first, then brush on metallic silver aluminum with brush flowing in one direction (acrylics).
8-Let dry, and antique with a wash of black acrylic, water, and a few drops of alcohol.
9-Go back and touch up with silver and black; ridges and details should be hit with silver.
10-Paint muzzle interior and around edges with wisping effect using Burnt Iron Metallizer paint (looks like carbon fouling).
11-Seal with flat acrylic sealer.

I still have to add a few things on mine such as some wiring, tubing, a bracket/armor mount, and a bright blue LED in the muzzle!

Thanks again!

When you do step #8, make sure you wipe off the black wash as you just want it to accent the overall paint scheme, and not overwhelm it!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back