P1 Bio Sculpt

PredatrHuntr

Master Member
I have the clay, but first I need to make an armature. I thought about using Great Stuff, but then after seeing Uratz' thread I thought I would try the wire/plaster first. I need to stop at Michaels tonight for some plaster and bandages to slap on there.

Since this is my first time attempting an armature, any feedback or criticism is appreciated

Lethbridge-20110706-00122.jpg
Lethbridge-20110706-00123.jpg

that looks good dude. i would make sure that the edges come out farther than where you plan to sculpt. having the edge makes it easier when it comes time to mold so you can get a good mold lip.

Agreed about the aramature edges.. Some more add on tips to Uratz's plaster. Use a bucket of water.. Add iodized salt.. Drench the lengths of bandage in the bucket then wring out.. Then apply.. Salt assists in the cure rate.. Build your layers.. It will be strong enough.. Many mother molds are made this way

George - thanks for the tip on the salt and water.

Question about the armature - you say to have the edges come out further than I where the sculpt will be? I made this wiring the same size as the inside of the P1 Stunt, figuring that when the clay is on, it will be bigger anyway so my armature should be smaller than what I want the Bio to be. Then when I go to mold it, I can brush the silicone over the edges - is that right? I'm thinking ahead to hez' tutorial where he brushed the silicone over the edges...

When I made my bio armature from xmdray's half mask, I made it a bit bigger so that I could add a clay lip around the base of the bio sculpt. That way the resin wont overspill when I make a cast.

EDIT: If the edges of the bio will be the edges of the armature, then I believe you could just put silicon over that and it would act like the clay lip. Just don't forget to spray release on the armature. I don't know if it was me, but the silicon ended up bringing some of the plaster off.

Hez posted some pics of his clay lip, I'll see if I still have them.

What I believe is meant by bigger, is EXTENDING the armature past the existing edge of the bio. This will leave you area on the armature onto which you can build up your clay wall for molding. Further, once the plaster is on, you can place the bio back on the armature and take a Sharpe and trace an outline to give you a bit of a guide.

After looking at hez' tutorials some more, I'm going to try to make my armature the same way and then just extend my sculpt past the armature. That way I can brush the silicone on the sides and have the same results. Right? Haha, I'm thinking of it logically...and from the way Paul did his. I had to adjust the wiring a bit to get it to fit back in the Bio, but it has the same basic shape that I will follow:

Img_280200.jpg

Tell me what problems I may have this way as opposed to an armature that's slightly larger than the Bio like Uratz does.

well i have never done it Paul's way, but he turns out a great product. so...... i guess if you are following his tut, then the way you are doing it should be fine.

i don't brush on silicone. i make a mother first then pour my silicone in, so i need the extra space for the lip.

cheers J, looking forward to your sculpt!

Awesome,first your killer painting skills now the sculpting....this man has no limits....looking good jason

Damn, you guys have more faith in me than I do haha!

Yes I bought mostly medium because I won't have to worry about it if I nick it. Once I heat it up, its just as malleable.

Yeah, when I bought my clay I bought all soft. So anytime I bumped it with my figure or arm it would put a dent in the area that I bumped. It probably would've made my sculpting experience better but, you work with what you got.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back