P. L. Enterprise Refit

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Smiling Demon, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

Anyone have any updates on the 1/350 refit Enterprise from Polar Lights? I thought it was supposed to come out in October. I can't wait to get it!

Kenny

2. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

It is suppose to be released in 2005.....between March&June?

3. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thomas said the molds have about a month of work left to be done and then they can go into production. I think they will make it by Christmas [​IMG]

4. venkman71

venkman71 Well-Known Member

The pics are up on his site! The kit prototype just came back and you are gonn a flip once you see how it came out!
    http://www.thomasmodels.com/refit/
    It is absolutely astounding.
    I can't wait to get going on this kit!

5. Watson

Its looking really good. I cannot wait for Christmas, ia m hoping they will have it out. If not my Birthday is in Jan so I am set either way.

JDH

6. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

February or March now. Same with the Scorpion.

7. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8. venkman71

That thing is so killer. Sasser did an amazing job on the sculpt. The mechanical precision of the sculpt almost has a machined feel to it. Tight, tight, tight. This thing is easily the greatest representation of the 1701 refit I've ever seen and shockingly, it's not that much smaller than the oft mentioned yet seldom seen Dennis Deboers Enterprise. This kit is considerably cheaper than the Deboers as well, (about $60-$75 retail depending on location). I am so salivating to build this bee-yotch! [​IMG]
    Lights,...correct paint scheme and I fully anticipate this taking MONTHS but oh the finished results! [​IMG]
    Can't wait. [​IMG]

9. phase pistol

Yes all must buy several! [​IMG]

I think this puppy's master must have been 3-d printed from Sasser's blueprints... way too much detail and accuracy.

I hope however that the nacelles appear to be sagging due to the camera distortion! [​IMG]

Otherwise excellent. [​IMG]

- Karl

10. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Loks great! Do you suppose those supports under the saucer will be part of the final kit?

11. ViperRecon

ViperRecon New Member

Yes, those supports are supposed to be part of the kit. I plan on handling that another way though...

I agree on the nacelle droop, that concerned me as well!

Mark Snyder
    Seoul, Korea

12. Spellbinder99

Spellbinder99 Well-Known Member

The clear supports are part of the stand and I am pretty sure that the apparent droop is camera distortion as the pictures I have seen of the internal construction of the kit would seem to make droop unlikely.

I have had a case of four on pre-order with Doll and Hobby since may last year. Their price is under $40 each if you buy a case.

Cheers

Tony

13. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Do you have a link for Doll and Hobby? Or does anyone know how yo make a bulk purchase directly from PL? Seems like theres enough interest around here to make it worth while [​IMG]

Jedi Dade

14. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm gonna get mine from Hobby Lobby...

Have it put somewhere "safe" in the store until one of their 50% off sales happens, then get that sucker...

On top of that the wife gets and employees discount [​IMG]

Oh hell yeah... I may just buy two...

-Gary

15. venkman71

I pre-ordered FIVE. Three for me, two for gifts. [​IMG]

16. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

According to the CTV update, it's now an April release. Still an awesome piece, but the wait...

17. Spellbinder99

http://www.doll-hobby.com/Home.asp

$41.99 each or $38.99 each if you buy a case of four.

Gary, you are lucky you could get one of these for under $20 if that pans out.

Thomas says they are allready running the molds on these in China, so the only way they would be held back untill April would be if RC2/PL decided to intentionally hold them to build up stocks.

As for what CTV says, lets just say that there seems to be some history between him and Thomas Sasser and leave it at that.....[​IMG]

Cheers

Tony

18. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Thanks for the link [​IMG]

19. Gary Weaver II

yeah, I made that mistake on the NX-01... Freaked out when it came in and bought one from ebay... Then is sat on my shelf unopened when Hobby Lobby got theirs in AND had a 50% off sale. There were still some on the shelves after the sale...

Taught me a very valuable lesson about patience [​IMG]

-Gary

20. Spellbinder99

Exactly Gary.

Not having access to such stores means getting the best deal I can via the internet, so I am going to buy all those I think I need now and then pick up any others at my leisure.

Cheers

Tony

21. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So are there any other ships from this era planned? I spent about four years randomly trying to accurize my worthless Lunar Models Excelsior and I dont think I'll have time to continue it any time soon. The weird thing is I have never seen accurate blueprints of the Excelsior. Also the Enterprise B version depresses me, so I hope if another Excelsior kit or Reliant kit come out, they are more accurate than previous attempts.

22. PHArchivist

The waiting is killing me!

23. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

Any news on the release?

24. phase pistol

I clicked because I thought YOU knew. :lol

Nah, haven't heard anything. What is it, April already... <_<

25. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

It's just a hoax. They are never going to release it, they are just playing games with us. Getting our hopes up.
    Release it already, I'm starting to freak out..........come on, release it already.........

Kenny :p B)

26. Dobber

Dobber Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this Kit also. Last I heard it is now planned for July....I think I saw that on the Polar Lights site.....haven't checked it in a while though. JUST RELEASE THE DARN THING................ as long as it's ready that is..

Chris

27. Watson

Starship Modeler Received thier order today. I have my pre-order with them. They have the boxes in hand so I should have mine by next week :)

JDH

28. PHArchivist

July.? Please tell that is way wrong...

29. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Same here,

I just got my e-mail saying mine is boxed up and ready to go.
    And who says Christmas doess come in spring......

30. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

31. Wolvster1

Wolvster1 Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

32. WRXpilot

WRXpilot New Member

If I didn't already have my lighted Bandai refit I'd be all over this.

I went through probably a dozen of the wretched ERTL refit kits in my teenage years trying to get something that looked halfway decent and wouldn't have pylon sag, only to never really "get it".

Finally the little Bandai came out and I got my accurate and nice looking refit "E", designed with lighting as a bonus (and it does look very good with a little modification).

I think I've spent all my refit Enterprise energy already unfortunately. Even though this is a nice looking kit I don't think I'd have any fun putting another refit together.

Plus, the fiance puts up with my 18" model being displayed. I think selling her on a 3' version would be somewhat more difficult though.

33. phase pistol

34. Aegis159

Aegis159 Sr Member

Guys these are already out there for sale... I was in the Doll and Hobby Shop in Deland, FL. over the weekend and they had 4 or so for sale still...then again a guy came in and bought 2 of them so who knows.... but still they're out there.

35. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

36. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

Hey guys,
    Megahobby has them in stock on their website. The price is $50.95 + shipping.

Wanted to let you know..

Kenny

37. Watson

I actually got mine yesterday and all I have to say is *.... I knew it was big, I did not realize how big it would be until I pulled it out of the box.

This thing takes up my entire work area. I am * impressed by it and more than a little intimidated by it too.

JDH

38. Gary Weaver II

Hell, I'm intimidated by the NX-01 :)

This will probably give me a downright phobia of models for years...

-Gary

39. dcallisto

dcallisto New Member

Well I might be crazy, but this kit will be my first purchased kit in more years than I can remember. Working the 8-8 Microsoft life the last 6 years has kept me away from modeling, but now that I'm taking a year off to be at home with my newborn daughter, I decided to get back into it......

And then I see this kit is being released :D

Hopefully I'm not too rusty, I'll have to really go slow........maybe I should have got a couple :lol

40. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Well-Known Member

Holy cow... I can't pass this up. This is freakin' gorgeous, and I just ordered mine...

Wow. Unbelievable detail.

41. PHArchivist

Got mine yesterday... Pics can only BEGIN to relay the size... You really don't know JUST how big it is until you unbury the saucer at the bottom of the box. HUGE.

And yes -- intimidating....

How the hell are we going to mask off all those window inserts....?

42. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Any word as to who is going to do a lighting kit for this?

43. Darth Infamous

Darth Infamous Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just ordered my PL Refit today. :) Does anyone have any idea what pearlescent paints to use on it? Is anyone going to attempt it with these pearlescent paints?

Carl

44. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

You can get the pearlescant pigments dry in a myriad of colors. The brand I use is PearlEX.

http://www.outlinesrubberstamp.com/main/ca...ies/pearlex.htm

You can add it to any clear medium you prefer. I love the stuff.

45. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

OH BABY. Now PLEASE tell me they are going to release a Reliant kit in this scale and accuracy????

OMG can you imagine a Bird of PREY in this scale??

I'm all over this baby.

Josh

46. phase pistol

I wouldn't expect any more Polar Lights Star Trek kits.

Well maybe the 1/1000 NX-01.

- k

47. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

I heard a Reliant mod kit is in the works from a model builder over at CultTVMan :)

48. LZeitgeist

Oh noooooooooooooooo... :D

Geeze, that'd drive me wild, having a refit Enterprise and a scale-Reliant fighting it out hanging from the ceiling on threads... I haven't felt this geek-happy in a long time. ::chuckle::

Are you saying it's a model kit on its own, or a modification kit for the PL Enterprise refit kit?

49. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Mod for the current kit.

50. LZeitgeist

D'oh. Well, I guess I gotta hope that PL keeps making the refit kits... has a 'limited number' been announced or anything?