P. Hollywood - Rebel Blaster INFO - Archive Please!

Thanks for all the pics, PHArchivist. Kenny, never mind about the cylon pistol pictures. I had no idea what it looked like, was expecting something more interesting. I thought it might be neat to try to add a BG piece to my blaster collection, but I don't think that will be it.
icon_wink.gif

Nick

If that's not a fan piece it's from ANH.
It looks correct to me though!

WOW!!

If anyone can find this and get more shots PLEASE post them!!!!

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
WAMPA wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
I don't get it Rob....

why DO they call you PHarchivist?
icon_smile.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Yeah, I finaly got that.
icon9.gif

TK818 wrote:
If that's not a fan piece it's from ANH.
It looks correct to me though!

WOW!!

If anyone can find this and get more shots PLEASE post them!!!!

Good to see you on this thread Richard, I knew you would like these pics too.

But, it looks like the cut down mag is broken off of this one. Well, if there is such a thing as a cut down mag. What do you think? Also, no wiper blade detail on the scope rail but nice pics of 2 greeblies on this side.

From what I see with the mirrored backing, the backside looks identical (from the same mold) as this gun, which is rumored to be a real screen used blaster.

RebelBlaster.jpg

Slight diferances though.

The PH blaster has the caps on the scope adjustment knobs and the correct scope rings.

There are some round greeblies on the base of the rings that aren't in the ANH caps I've seen.

Also, it's missing this wierd greeblie in front of the scope:

DH17site.jpg

I'm not seeing any of the brass detail at the back and the scope is either a casting or they painted over the front cone.
It's the correct style of scope though.

RebGunChain.jpg

I think these two blasters are from the same mold and the scopes were added later.
The PA blaster got it right but added the round greeblies to the scope rings or perhaps it's another type of ring.

Here is what I think is going on with the clip housing...

My theory all along is that in ANH they took a Sterling casting, chopped it up and made The DH17.

They then took a mold and cast the blasters adding greblies and Single Point scopes.

For my blaster I cast the clip housing and chopped it down.
When you do that it looks like this:

DH17Clip.jpg

Now, if you cut a section out from the leading edge of the clip and add a greeblie behind the clip housing you get what we see in the PA
blaster:

DH17clipMod.jpg

From the PA blaster it looks like they cut away all of the clip except for the back release box.
I left a slight lip when I cut my clip down.

"How can you tell its the ANH?"

ANH:
The base gun is the E-11 (Sterling L2A3).
The DH-17's in ANH use real Single Point scopes and football shaped scope rings.

RebGun.jpg

ANHwithE-11.jpg

ESB:
The ESB DH-17 also uses the E-11 as the base gun.
The Single Point scopes were solid resin castings.
A long rod was used for the scope rail.
The clip and clip receiver were left intact but like on the E-11 the clip was cut down.
The silver barrel was shortened a bit and a small tube was added to the front cone.
Various grieblies were added including the Revel piston halves (as seen on Han and Luke's Mausers) and V8 engine kit parts.

EmpireLando.jpg

EmpireRebGun.jpg

ROTJ:
The ROTJ DH-17 uses the Sterling MGC as the base gun with greeblies added.
The scope is a casting of the Single Point.
Like the ESB blaster they left the clip housing intact and used a shortened clip like on the E-11.
The scope rings are the round Weaver type rings.

ROTJrebBlaster.jpg

For more check my DH17 thread on ASAP:

http://pub23.ezboard.com/fpropreplicasfrm3.showMessage?topicID=233.topic

From this angle it looks to be a bit different from what your theory is.

PHcutmag1.jpg

IÂ’m starting to come up with a different theory that the mag-weld is completely gone and that there is just a rectangular block/greeblie behind the cut out where the mag-weld is.

In the pic above (the PH blaster) this is broken off, except for a small part.

If you look close at the pic bellow and match it up with the one above they look very similar in the mag-weld area in that there doesnÂ’t look to be like much of the raise mag section left at all, except for the U shape rectangular block behind it. But just a theory and MO.

PHcutmag2.jpg

Sure, the entire thing could be an unidentified greeblie but see if this makes what I'm seeing more clear:

DH17mag1.jpg

It does look like that detail is on the ANH blasters.

" there doesnÂ’t look to be like much of the raise mag section left at
all, except for the U shape rectangular block behind it. "

Yes, I saw that.
(See my previous post)

I can't wait to see better pics so we can be sure!

I feel like I came in late to the party!
Cool thread I had no idea an ANH DH-17 was out there. There is an ESB at another Planet Hollywood that I'm using pics of for the ESB DH-17 page.

The ANH DH-17 in the photos with the white background had it's scope and rings replaced. They're not original parts and that's why they don't match.

I'm still trying to figure out the exact evolution of the prop from ANH to ESB. I believe they are cast from the same primary gun, but the ESB is a new cleaner mold- however that doesn't explain the magazine (ANH -missing, ESB- attached). I'm still not convinced it's cut up Sterling. There's no visible cut marks and no evidence of the extra holes filled in. I still think it might be a prototype Sterling variation like the parapistol. The similarities seem too coincidental even though the parapistol came out years after ANH. The nice clean line in front of the front site and the notch or hole in the black section before the silver barrel are present on the ANH and ESB and lead me to believe they're cast from the same gun. My best guess is that perhaps this gun was first made for another movie- meant to look like the BSA prototype. Then they dressed it up a bit for ANH and made castings. It has the professional manufactured look of the ANH DL-44 which we know was made for another movie- it doesn't have the low budget look of many of the other guns. I mean the original gun, not the castings which do look low budget.

"Hey is that a Merr-Sonn greeblie on the side of the reciever under the scope? "
Jay you beat me to it! I saw that too, the rectangular block looks like the same greebly as on the Merr Sonn.

The magazine side is consistant with the other low quality pics I've been able to find. I also agree the mag well is completely gone- not sure what that piece behind it is.

Most of the ESB scope rail is a cylinder, but the part under the rear scope ring and behind is still the same ANH block type scope rail

PoSW update is in the works- but it's bigger than I had originally planned. I've started with the Item pages, but the Lightsabers and the rest of the categories will be updated first, Ranged Weapons will come after.

BTW- Obi1kenny- I just saw your dancing trooper photos in the latest Insider. A nice little sidebar in the letters column, congrats!

The BSA does SORT of look like the DH-17.
The clip housing is removable which is an interesting coincidence but the hand grip, back end, rear site and filled in front site match the Sterling
perfectly.

I think you're right that they tried to make something that looked like the BSA but that they cut up a Sterling prop to do it (IMHO).

BSAexparemental1.jpg

lonepigeon wrote:
...I had no idea an ANH DH-17 was out there.

All you had to do was ask!
icon_wink.gif

"All you had to do was ask! "

LOL, you need to ask AND have the right people see the post!
I've been begging for DH-17 pics for over a year!

Yeah, that's what I mean. I was thinking maybe Bapty needed a BSA for another movie and professionally modifed a Sterling to look like one (since the BSA's are so rare). Then they added a few greeblies to it for ANH.

I just took a look at the parapistol again. I was thinking the rear of it was shorter- it's not. The length of the front is still quite similar, but perhaps that is due to the mechanics of the gun. If the theorectical gun from another movie was functional it would've likely had to have been cut off at this point to retain crucial interior parts.

BTW- Is that a BSA looking fold-down stock in the hands of a Hoth trooper?

"Is that a BSA looking fold-down stock in the hands of a Hoth trooper?"

No, that's abother blaster barrel in the foreground.

HothRebs1.jpg

I like these ideas. The main body tube does look to be a lot different then a Sterling the Mag-well and the shell ejection port on the other side are shaped different than the Sterling receiver. I'd like to see a cleaner pic of that BSA gun with the clip folded down to see what the mag cut-out looks like.

lonepigeon wrote:
BTW- Is that a BSA looking fold-down stock in the hands of a Hoth trooper?

That's what I thought I saw too earlier, but then I thought maybe it was just the guys jacket collar or something, but it sure does look like a folding stock.

EDIT: Ah, I see now, thanks TK818.

BTW Chris - Very Cool! So when does that new Inside come out?

"the Mag-well and the shell ejection port on the other side are shaped different than the Sterling "

I think the ejection port looks different because of where they cut the Sterling.

SterlingCut.jpg

Now, someone show us more unknownDH-17 pics and prove me wrong : D

The BSA's are super rare, never put into production so I don't think the DH-17 was one just made to look like one. From what I can tell only 9 BSA's ever existed (hence the need for a look-a-like if they needed one for a movie.)

I just got my contributor copy of the latest Insider today. You mean I actually got it before everyone else? That's a change
icon_smile.gif

You're on page 6, the first page of Rebel Rumblings- your 2 photos and letter are in a blue box so they stand out.
"Don't step on his white suede shoes" is the headline.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back