P-1 Movie Quote Question

ofak

Near the end of Predator or P-1, after the battle between Arnold and Predator, and just after the giant tree booby trap falls on the alien, Arnold asks " What the hell are you?" The Predator replies " What the hell are you?"

Was The Predator mocking Arnold? Or was he asking the same question?

I was always curious about that, what does everyone else think?

It's unknown how much of our language they understand. Most novels and film have them mimicking what humans say, but not understanding exactly what is being said. The fact that they repeat things that are so pertinent to the situation at hand, leads me to believe they DO understand the English language to some degree.
Also, most written material makes us believe they have voice recording and playback features in their mask only, but the films indicate (especially P1) that they can mimic our words without a voice playback loop in their helmet.

Good question! I have often wondered the same thing about that moment in P1. Another similar incident happened in Predator 2 after the alien has been blasted several times with the shotgun by Danny Glover. The mask is pulled off and Glover makes the comment " You're one ugly..." then the Predator says, "Motherf**ker"! Is that some recognition of the first movie? It would seem that they do understand some human language.

It's unknown how much of our language they understand. Most novels and film have them mimicking what humans say, but not understanding exactly what is being said. The fact that they repeat things that are so pertinent to the situation at hand, leads me to believe they DO understand the English language to some degree.
Also, most written material makes us believe they have voice recording and playback features in their mask only, but the films indicate (especially P1) that they can mimic our words without a voice playback loop in their helmet.
That is a very good point!!!
Good question! I have often wondered the same thing about that moment in P1. Another similar incident happened in Predator 2 after the alien has been blasted several times with the shotgun by Danny Glover. The mask is pulled off and Glover makes the comment " You're one ugly..." then the Predator says, "Motherf**ker"! Is that some recognition of the first movie? It would seem that they do understand some human language.
**** happens?

How about Royce when he free the P1 Classic from the Totem Pole?
I totally agree that it is possible that they are just bringing back lines to tie in the movies a little, it still leaves the question, it is kind of mysterious O:

I believe that they understand the language and use it to their advantage, they do after all study every single species they hunt in order to perfect their hunts. So I think that he was mocking Arnold. But that's just my 2 cents

I think the predator was having a philosophical moment and was trying to point out that Dutch is in fact just like him - a predator.

Compare it wiith what Isabelle said in Predators: "It's because we are predators. Just like them. We're the monsters of our own world. It's probably better that we're never going back."

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back