Owlman Build

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Steampunch, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Steampunch

Steampunch New Member

Well thought I would start my first official thread with my build in progress of Owlman. I am hoping that by starting this thread it would assist me to speed up my progress by adding updates and such.

For those of you unfamiliar of Owlman he is a DC villain from an alternate dimension. He is technically Batmans older brother. Wiki page :- Owlman (comics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Basically you could file this as an alternate batman suit.

Anyway the version I am aiming for is the Owlman from the DC animated movie Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, as voiced by James Woods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (the above pic I found online and has been a massive help)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. Steampunch

Steampunch New Member

I have started the mask first. I had an unfinished batman mask from the DC Online Future Batman mask. (As pepped by Graphic Jordon, Thankyou).

[​IMG]
    (The above pic is not my mask but Graphic Jordons I am just using pic for reference)

I was not happy with my pepped mask the way it sat on my head, I had pepped the ears to wide. Later on after watching The Crisis on 2 Earths movie I decided to use my abandoned cowl as a base to Owlman, a great many modifications have taken place so far...

[​IMG]

I cut the forehead away to the desired shape, and cut the eyes to a much wider shape losing most of the brow. I then added a beak to the nose area after filling in the nose and brow ridge.

[​IMG]
    After some filling and sanding later I had the above shape so far. Unfortunately my cutting and sanding the original design had weakened the mask considerably, cracks on the forehead above the eyes kept occuring so unfortunately I had to attempt to strengthen the narrow parts with FG and filler.

Also design wise I was not convinced that the ears matched the source material so further alterations would need to be added.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So After filling, I had lost most of my sanding work especially the nose, wouldn't normally use filler so thickly but needed it for strength. I also decided to make some additions to the ears/wings by adding a bit more curve to them. The black eyes are peices of foam I plan to use for the eyes later on.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  3. Michaelsean

Michaelsean New Member

thats really cool i cant wait to see it when ur done

4. digisloth

digisloth New Member

Your off to a great start, looking forward to see the progress...

5. Zeppo

Zeppo Sr Member

I'm curious to see how this progresses. I really want to do the Frank Quitely version from JLA: Earth 2.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  6. Steampunch

Steampunch New Member

Update: Well I decided to go the Spiderman route with the lenses and use a mesh. Couldn't sleep so I tinkered around with some foam and some flyscreen patches. Bit of cutting, spraypaint and glue and I got these....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filled and sanded the mask a bit more and gave it a quick coat of primer, this is what I got so far....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well thats it for a while now probably won't have much free time to work on this for a few weeks, * work and commitments getting in the way of important stuff.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  7. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

Very cool.

At first I thought you might be going for this
    [​IMG]

8. Moosedan

Moosedan New Member

Keep at it

9. Dirty

Dirty Member

Great start I like where this is going so far

10. sonicprops

sonicprops Active Member

looks great cant wait to see the finished thing

11. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Hi there, good job, way to do something new!

12. MetalMilkMan

MetalMilkMan Member

I also thought you were going for the talons of the Court of Owls. Looks cool, can't wait to see it completed.

13. harzzle

harzzle Member

love the talons. Love owlman. can't wait to see more!

14. Transhuman325

Transhuman325 Active Member

Nice build! Earth 2 has always been one of my all time favorite Justice League storylines! Can't wait to see the finished product!

15. Eagerly

Eagerly Member

Ooooo oooooo ooooo keep the progress pics coming i love seeing new costumes. Great start :)

16. Alpha Proto

Alpha Proto Sr Member

This is real cool. I am going to subscribe to this. I look forward to how this will turn out.

17. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool build. Good job on the mask so far.

18. GreenLightning

GreenLightning Active Member

This should be interesting

19. herotrooper

herotrooper Member

This is great! I would love to see this finished. Please keep at it!

P.S. Could you post a link to the DC Future Batman pep, please?