OWK weathered clamp.

Between the clamp and booster there are wires protruding from tiny holes in the clamp at 180° from each other, same as the screws on the opposite end of the clamp.
View attachment 1343709
Here is one of the lesser seen Chronicles pics, posted by Serenity in another thread.
Ah more than likely the cotter pins used to hold the thing together. Thanks
View attachment 1343714View attachment 1343715View attachment 1343716

These aren't mine, if I need to take them down anyone let me know,
Thank you!

Ah more than likely the cotter pins used to hold the thing together. Thanks

Thank you!
Well, cotter pins are what came attached to the booster bearing, but they don’t really hold anything together rather they keep the booster from spinning. You see, there are two schools of thought regarding construction. One uses the booster bearing with the flash hider cut down, and screwed into the booster, the other uses a threaded rod.
I’ll see if I can dig up a few threads for you to read.

This is a good one. Serafino Booster Missing Part
This too. Almost finished: Real Parts Obi-Wan ANH Saber
chazzychaz

Last edited:
OB1 Chronicles.jpg

While I was photoshopping these 2 pictures together this thread commenced, still I'd like to show it to you chazzychaz, all the best in weathering your OWK ANH ;)

Chaïm

Nice chaim!

Look at my real parts Obi threads too - i actually am one of the people that cut my Flash Hider down and used it as a clamp spacer

Because the wire holes are opposite each other on the clamp, I've always believed that the wire holes were drilled straight through the clamp on a drill press (or by hand), a straight piece of wire was inserted in one hole, through whatever is inside the saber holding it together, and out the other side, the ends snipped to length, and then the ends of the wire were bent over how we see it on those photos.

i actually am one of the people that cut my Flash Hider down and used it as a clamp spacer
Me too. It’s a stable solid connection and you can bend your saber a bit to emulate what is going on in that emitter on pic I just posted. It also explains the lack of anything reflecting from inside the rounded slot. I can see all the way through my saber with the pommel cap off. It all just screws together or is pressure fit with a little epoxy for good measure.

Last edited:
oh i still have a threaded rod running through - I was only able to seat a FH ring in the grenade threaded lip - how are your FH and Grenade sitting to stay friction fit?
Me too. It’s a stable solid connection and you can bend your saber a bit to emulate what is going on in that emitter on pic I just posted. It also explains the lack of anything reflecting from inside the rounded slot. I can see all the way through my saber with the pommel cap off. It all just screws together or is pressure fit with a little epoxy for good measure.

Well, cotter pins are what came attached to the booster bearing, but they don’t really hold anything together rather they keep the booster from spinning. You see, there are two schools of thought regarding construction. One uses the booster bearing with the flash hider cut down, and screwed into the booster, the other uses a threaded rod.
I’ll see if I can dig up a few threads for you to read.

This is a good one. Serafino Booster Missing Part
This too. Almost finished: Real Parts Obi-Wan ANH Saber
chazzychaz
I have started reading the real parts thread. Thank you for both

View attachment 1343719

While I was photoshopping these 2 pictures together this thread commenced, still I'd like to show it to you chazzychaz, all the best in weathering your OWK ANH ;)

Chaïm
Thank you very much. That clamp has seen better days, The other thing I know see is the pommel, (heritage starlight) d ring on the korbanth is not in the correct position. That will have to change. This weekend will hear a lot of tool noises from the hobby room. Thank you

Because the wire holes are opposite each other on the clamp, I've always believed that the wire holes were drilled straight through the clamp on a drill press (or by hand), a straight piece of wire was inserted in one hole, through whatever is inside the saber holding it together, and out the other side, the ends snipped to length, and then the ends of the wire were bent over how we see it on those photos.
That makes perfect sense, Fascinating

This is what I have to worth with. Korbanth k4 v2, I weathered it last fall. But I really want to accurize it. It will have to do until I can save enough to get one of Roma's superb mk1's. As you can see the faux starlite handwheel is with D ring is not in the correct position. I would ideally like to turn an adapter to make it sit correctly, but I no longer have a lathe. simple solution is to turn it to the correct position 180 degrees from the op amps and drill a hole for a set screw. Ideas?

Attachments

• 20200903_094641.jpg
    20200903_094641.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200903_094701.jpg
    20200903_094701.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 110
  • 20200903_094723.jpg
    20200903_094723.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
  • 20200903_094737.jpg
    20200903_094737.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
I dipped a toothpick in aluminum black and made tarnish dots on mine after knocking down the clamp finish with 0000 steel wool.

Attachments

• DFCE33E5-87B8-4EB4-91BD-C38049ADF897.jpeg
    DFCE33E5-87B8-4EB4-91BD-C38049ADF897.jpeg
    948.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 64E6A378-B623-43CD-A165-13AD0A0EF6F7.jpeg
    64E6A378-B623-43CD-A165-13AD0A0EF6F7.jpeg
    929.6 KB · Views: 146
I tried to start disassembly, but the emitter( balance pipe) is stuck solid, probably the aluminum black. Would it be safe to stick it in the oven at 350 for 15 minuets then set it in the freezer for same amount of time to see it will come apart?

Last edited:
I use the foil tape and topical weathering technique.

View attachment 1343548

View attachment 1343549

I love this, and I want to try it soon. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

• I see the type of sticky foil tape mentioned in the next few posts below. Is it thin (like for example regular duty kitchen aluminum foil) or is it thicker than that (like for example heavy duty kitchen aluminum foil or even heavier)?

• I assume you removed the clamp bars and wrapped foil up behind the clamp bars and also tucked it around the ends of the clamp that touch the booster and the grenade. Is that correct?

• Regarding the parts of foil tape that are missing... Did you tear that off or rub that off or cut that off? Is it a deliberate/controlled process or more of a random process?

• Most importantly, what did you use for the black weathering on the outer surface of the foil?

Thanks!

Here's the one I did with paint years ago, James Kenobi 1138's clamp was my main copying point lol. I think I sold this to Scott later on, no idea where it's at now.
View attachment 1343717View attachment 1343718

Just remember that paint is much more forgiving than using chemicals and actually damaging the plating. If you mess up with paint, all you have to do is clean it off.

Still here... still on my real parts obi. It was done so well I never wanted to change it. The only thing was James pointed out the brass screws were slightly too large, but I'm ok with it. Love it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back