OWK weathered clamp.

• I see the type of sticky foil tape mentioned in the next few posts below. Is it thin (like for example regular duty kitchen aluminum foil) or is it thicker than that (like for example heavy duty kitchen aluminum foil or even heavier)?

• I assume you removed the clamp bars and wrapped foil up behind the clamp bars and also tucked it around the ends of the clamp that touch the booster and the grenade. Is that correct?

• Regarding the parts of foil tape that are missing... Did you tear that off or rub that off or cut that off? Is it a deliberate/controlled process or more of a random process?

• Most importantly, what did you use for the black weathering on the outer surface of the foil?

I used whatever adhesive-backed foil tape is sold at the hardware store for HVAC. Some brands put their logo all over the outside of the tape but it's pretty easy to find plain metal tape with no logo.

I did remove the clamp bars and ran the foil up under the clamp bar area for a smooth application.

I used a template that someone made years ago and printed it to be the same size (height) of the clamp. Because the adhesive-backed foil tape has a paper backer, you can lay the template on top of the tape, use something like a toothpick to trace the important lines on the template which translates to the tape underneath as faint lines, and then use an exacto knife and scissors to cut the tape just like you want with the paper backing still on. Then peel the paper off and apply.

I used paint, a mix of black, dark grey, and brown, and I dry-brushed and 'dabbed' the paint on with a cheap chip brush to look (hopefully) random. When the paint was dry I sealed the clamp by spraying the clamp with a clear flat lacquer. When the clear flat lacquer dried I scratched away some of the clear with 000 steel wool for a mix of flat and shiny finish on the clamp.

I used whatever adhesive-backed foil tape is sold at the hardware store for HVAC. Some brands put their logo all over the outside of the tape but it's pretty easy to find plain metal tape with no logo.

I did remove the clamp bars and ran the foil up under the clamp bar area for a smooth application.

I used a template that someone made years ago and printed it to be the same size (height) of the clamp. Because the adhesive-backed foil tape has a paper backer, you can lay the template on top of the tape, use something like a toothpick to trace the important lines on the template which translates to the tape underneath as faint lines, and then use an exacto knife and scissors to cut the tape just like you want with the paper backing still on. Then peel the paper off and apply.

I used paint, a mix of black, dark grey, and brown, and I dry-brushed and 'dabbed' the paint on with a cheap chip brush to look (hopefully) random. When the paint was dry I sealed the clamp by spraying the clamp with a clear flat lacquer. When the clear flat lacquer dried I scratched away some of the clear with 000 steel wool for a mix of flat and shiny finish on the clamp.

Thanks a lot! Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing such a template on the web many years ago, but I didn't save a copy back then. I'll try to search for it...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back