OWK weathered clamp.

chazzychaz

Sr Member
I am going to try and make the best obi wan hilt, i/ can using a korbanth owk 4. the clamp seen on the original is pitted and the plating is chipped and worn. Has anyone replicated this? methods? results? please chime in. I would like to start using a salt and vinegar bath, followed by an oxi clean bath. I had thought of hitting it with a dremel wire brush, but that may seem too harsh? help please.

More specifically:
I sprayed undiluted bleach, and sprinkled fine ground table salt over the surface. Almost creating a slurry and let that sit overnight.
the next day it seemed slow, so I re misted the slurry again with bleach then packed the surface with metal/saw-shavings. I imagine a coarse steel wool pad could suffice cut into pieces.
the next day that seemed to have worked. The mild steel forced the oxidation into the microscopic pores of the plating and caused oxidation and some chipping.
6A8D0002-8343-4745-A05C-9C017A4EECCE.jpeg

(yes I did the whole thing at once)
F7CD0472-54AE-4ED5-A7A7-BD11BF331742.jpeg

E9B27B98-0D71-4645-872E-55F18E76BC57.jpeg

More specifically:
I sprayed undiluted bleach, and sprinkled fine ground table salt over the surface. Almost creating a slurry and let that sit overnight.
the next day it seemed slow, so I re misted the slurry again with bleach then packed the surface with metal/saw-shavings. I imagine a coarse steel wool pad could suffice cut into pieces.
the next day that seemed to have worked. The mild steel forced the oxidation into the microscopic pores of the plating and caused oxidation and some chipping.
View attachment 1343388
(yes I did the whole thing at once)
View attachment 1343389
View attachment 1343390
Thank you

If you did the whole thing like that, I’d use electric tape or something to ‘mask off’ the threads of the assembly. I didn’t do that and I wound up having to be vigilant about cleaning it and rejuvenating the threads
Thank you, I planned to wrap the threads with teflon tape

Are you going to go the whole nine yards, ala the Chronicles pic with the wires and screws? Metal tape? A lot can be achieved with chemical weathering, but the scratches, pits, holes, ext.. take a keen eye for detail. Good luck, it’s all been done, so there are many here to lean on for knowledge.

671333A9-AC0B-4C2F-A722-754B07181BB5.jpeg

A good pic of where the tape goes posted a while back by James Kenobi 1138.
The tape you’re going to want to use IMHO, is basically aluminum foil with a sticky side. I’ve found it in the auto parts section of big box stores, called exhaust repair tape or something similar.

Are you going to go the whole nine yards, ala the Chronicles pic with the wires and screws? Metal tape? A lot can be achieved with chemical weathering, but the scratches, pits, holes, ext.. take a keen eye for detail. Good luck, it’s all been done, so there are many here to lean on for knowledge.
I lost my chronicles book years ago (divorce). Could you post that pic please?

Thank you, I had thoughts of using HVAC ducting tape, but Ill check out the exhaust tape.
How about the screws? MR used brass, but I use silver finished screws because I like the aesthetic.
For the wires, I’ve used everything from bent nails, to wire, to cotter pins for my sabers.
I lost my chronicles book years ago (divorce). Could you post that pic please?
I don’t have the pic handy, it’s all over google in decent resolution.

How about the screws? MR used brass, but I use silver finished screws because I like the aesthetic.
For the wires, I’ve used everything from bent nails, to wire, to cotter pins for my sabers.

I don’t have the pic handy, it’s all over google in decent resolution.
Thanks I'll seach it out or pic up another copy of the book. Wires? I am unaware of wires.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back